Is hotmail having a problem, or is it just my account that's screwed?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary: MUCH better in every way.I've been using Gmail for the past year, and it's been great! I highly recommend it.In summary, the problem is that Hotmail does not support the .NET Passport you are signed in to.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The problem: I have a hotmail account that I use for my private tutoring business. I just went to log in and I got a domain error message that says, "Hotmail does not support the .NET Passport you are signed in to."

AARRGGH! All my appointments!

Is this happening with anyone else's hotmail account?

That email address is on hundreds of flyers posted at 4 different colleges...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you still using hotmail? I used to use hotmail, but had to keep deleting stuff I wanted to hang on to to fit stuff under that oppressive 2mb limit. Then it happened that I didn't log in for a month and they deleted all my stuff! Scalawags! I recommend hopping over to Gmail, or at least yahoo.

Anyway, sorry for the rant-- as you can probably tell I no longer use hotmail. Hope your situation clears up soon. Have you tried stuff like clearing your cache and cookies, using a different browser, using a different computer and/or using a different internet connection? I don't know if any of that would make a difference, but it's worth a shot.

My hotmail works just fine, no problems at all with it.

hypnagogue said:
Why are you still using hotmail?

Been using it since 2000 sans probleme.

I'm going to have to find a different computer because the error page I'm getting here doesn't even give me a way to log out of this account.

Well, switching computers did the trick. My account is intact as if nothing was ever wrong.

I'm feeling a bit lightheaded, as I have neither inhaled nor exhaled for the past 25 minutes.

Tom Mattson said:
I'm feeling a bit lightheaded, as I have neither inhaled nor exhaled for the past 25 minutes.

Have you considered a career as a professional pearl diver?

hypnagogue said:
I used to use hotmail, but had to keep deleting stuff I wanted to hang on to to fit stuff under that oppressive 2mb limit.

It's 250mb now!

Yes, at the time that I started this email accont for tutoring (early this year) they had increased my other hotmail accounts to 250 MB and the new one started at 25 MB. I think they have everyone go through a trial period (to make sure you're not a spammer, I guess) before they bump you up. My tutoring hotmail account is now at a full 250 MB.

:grumpy: Sure, NOW they expand it. All those cherished high school memories dissipated into the ether! bah.

Tom Mattson said:
Been using it since 2000 sans probleme.
:bugeye: Really? Wow! You must be the only one. I gave up on hotmail a while ago. I still have an account, but only use it to sign into other MSN sites that require a passport registration. The sort of problem you had is one I've gotten on a fairly regular basis from hotmail where it either refuses to accept the password, or won't open, or zaps your well-thought-out message into oblivion, etc. I don't think I'd use something like hotmail for anything important like a tutoring business. The hiccups they have are not a big deal if you just use it once in a while to catch up with online friends, but if you need something more reliable, I wouldn't use any of the free emails for that.

...I still use hotmail.

So do lots of my friends.

DeadWolfe said:
...I still use hotmail.

So do lots of my friends.
Would you rely on it for business though? If you're just keeping up with friends, and it doesn't make a big difference if you get the email today or tomorrow, it's fine. They're rarely down for long when they have problems. But, if you need to get the message by a certain hour of the day to schedule appointments, then it becomes pretty risky relying on that. For a free account, it's not bad, but you can't demand the same reliability from anything free as you can for an account you're paying for. I would just consider it the cost of doing business.

Tom... use gmail

1. Is Hotmail currently experiencing technical difficulties?

At the moment, Hotmail is not experiencing any widespread technical problems. However, individual accounts may occasionally encounter issues due to a variety of reasons.

2. How can I tell if the problem is with my Hotmail account or with the server?

If you are experiencing issues with your Hotmail account, you can check the official Hotmail status page to see if there are any known problems or outages. If there are no reported issues, then the problem is likely with your account.

3. What could be causing problems with my Hotmail account?

There are a few common causes for issues with Hotmail accounts, including incorrect login information, browser compatibility issues, and server maintenance or updates. It's also possible that your account has been hacked or compromised in some way.

4. How can I fix problems with my Hotmail account?

If you are experiencing problems with your Hotmail account, you can try a few troubleshooting steps such as clearing your browser's cache and cookies, checking your internet connection, and updating your browser. If the issue persists, you may need to contact Hotmail support for further assistance.

5. Is there a way to prevent future problems with my Hotmail account?

To prevent future problems with your Hotmail account, it's important to regularly update your login information, use a strong and unique password, and be cautious when clicking on suspicious links or emails. It's also a good idea to regularly monitor your account for any unusual activity.