[qm]find the angular opertor given total angular momentum wavefunction

I hope this helps. You have some work left to do.As a general remark, you should check your typing before you post. The first line is very confusing because of typos, and the third line is incorrect, with the wrong ket. That makes it very difficult for anyone to follow your work.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the total angular momentum in a system with l=1, given a wavefunction. The conversation includes a discussion about the notation used and the correct approach to solving the problem. Two possible solutions are presented, and the importance of checking for typos and errors is emphasized.
JayKo

Homework Statement

consider a system with total angular momentum, l=1 in the state

|[tex]\psi[/tex]>=[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1>-\frac{1}{2}|0>+\frac{1}{2}|-1>[/tex]
find |[tex]^{^}L_{\psi}>[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]^{^}L_{z}|\psi>=\hbar m|\psi>[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

the basis in the wavefunction given are|1> , |0>, |-1> and there are orthogonal. but I'm not sure what the question is really asking. anyone care to shed some light on this question.thanks

it shoud be L subsript y not psi. just couldn't read the handwriting

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot interpret what | Ly> might mean. The symbol for an operator is not normally placed inside a ket. Since there is handwriting involved, is it possible that you are asked to find the expectation value < Ly>? That makes more sense.

i've done no work in like four months for summer but am going back soon so can somebody tell me if I've done this correctly please.

say we wanted to find [itex]<L_y=1>[/itex], we would do:

[itex]<L_y=1>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^{\star} \cdot 1 \cdot \psi dx=\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{4} dx[/itex] where i have used the orthogonality of the kets.

and so [itex]<L_y=1>=\int_{-1}^{1} dx = \frac{x^2}{2} |_{x=-1}^{x=1}=0[/itex]

well that's definitely wrong. I am pretty sure i can't just change the limits from infinity to 1 etc in this case. jeez i need to get some work done in the next couple of weeks to get back up to speed lol.

I do not understand what you mean by

[tex]\left\langle L_{y} } = 1 \right\rangle [/tex]

An expectation value is usually written as

[tex]\left\langle \psi | L_{y} | \psi \right\rangle [/tex]

an abbreviated form of which is

[tex]\left\langle L_{y} \right\rangle [/tex]

You have to "sandwich" Ly between the bra and the ket of the wavefunction |ψ> that you have then distribute it among all nine possibilities of bra-kets.

bleh...it's going to be a long road back.

ok try this:

[itex]<\psi^{\star}|L_y|\psi>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^{\star} L_y \psi dx[/itex]

when we dot product [itex]\psi^{\star}[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] we get 1 though due to ket orthogonality.
what value do I use for [itex]L_y[/itex]?
do the limits change due to the allowed values for [itex]L_y[/itex]?

thanks for your help.

kuruman said:
I cannot interpret what | Ly> might mean. The symbol for an operator is not normally placed inside a ket. Since there is handwriting involved, is it possible that you are asked to find the expectation value < Ly>? That makes more sense.

sorry for the confusion, what i mean is L[tex]_{y}[/tex]| 〉 i am going to try it out myself and post here my answer when finish.

Now that makes sense.

JayKo said:
Consider a system with total angular momentum, l=1 in the state

|[tex]\psi[/tex]>=[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1>-\frac{1}{2}|0>+\frac{1}{2}|-1>[/tex]
find |[tex]^{^}L_{\psi}>[/tex]
...it shoud be L subsript y not psi. just couldn't read the handwriting

If you mean <L_y>, then you compute the matrix element
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
1/\sqrt{2} & -1/2 & 1/2 \end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
... & ... & ...\\
... & ... & ...\\
... & ... & ...\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}
1/\sqrt{2}\\
-1/2\\
1/2
\end{array}\right)[/tex] where the matrix is that of L_y in the 3x3 representation (spin 1). Otherwise, don't know what you meant.

alright here is my solution, please comment.

[tex]L_{\pm}=L_{x}+iL_{y}[/tex]
[tex]L_{\pm}|l,m>=\hbar\sqrt{(l_{\mp}m)(l_{\pm}m+1)}|l,m_{\pm}1>[/tex]

[tex]L_{y}=(L_{+}-L{-})/2i[/tex]

[tex]L_{y}=<\psi|L_{y}|\psi>=\frac{1}{2i}[<\psi|L_{+}|\psi>-<\psi|L_{-}|\psi>][/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{2i}[\hbar\sqrt{(l_{\mp}m)(l_{\pm}m+1)}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[<1|L_{+}|1>-\frac{1}{2}<0|L_{+}|0>+\frac{1}{2}<-1|L_{+}|-1>
-\hbar\sqrt{(l_{\mp}m)(l_{\pm}m+1)}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}]<1|L_{-}|1>-
\frac{1}{2}<0|L_{-}|0>+\frac{1}{2}<-1|L_{-}|-1>]] [/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{2i}[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}<1|2>-\frac{1}{2}<0|1>+\frac{1}{2}<-1|0>][/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[<1|0>+\frac{1}{2}<0|-1>-\frac{1}{2}<-1|-2>]=0[/tex]

Last edited:
latentcorpse said:
i've done no work in like four months for summer but am going back soon so can somebody tell me if I've done this correctly please.

say we wanted to find [itex]<L_y=1>[/itex], we would do:

[itex]<L_y=1>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^{\star} \cdot 1 \cdot \psi dx=\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{4} dx[/itex] where i have used the orthogonality of the kets.

and so [itex]<L_y=1>=\int_{-1}^{1} dx = \frac{x^2}{2} |_{x=-1}^{x=1}=0[/itex]

well that's definitely wrong. I am pretty sure i can't just change the limits from infinity to 1 etc in this case. jeez i need to get some work done in the next couple of weeks to get back up to speed lol.

interesting this is another solution, beside my way of doing it

JayKo said:
alright here is my solution, please comment.
[tex]L_{\pm}|l,m>=\hbar\sqrt{(l_{\mp}m)(l_{\pm}m+1)}|l,m_{\pm}1>[/tex]

Is there a reason why you've written the [itex]\pm[/itex] as subscripts on the RHS?...Surely you mean

[tex]L_{\pm}|l,m\rangle=\hbar\sqrt{(l\mp m)(l \pm m+1)}|l,m \pm 1\rangle[/tex]

Right?

[tex]L_{y}=<\psi|L_{y}|\psi>=\frac{1}{2i}[<\psi|L_{+}|\psi>-<\psi|L_{-}|\psi>][/tex]

First, [itex]L_y[/itex] is just an operator, [itex]\langle L_y\rangle=\langle\psi\vert\L_y\vert\psi\rangle[/itex] is its expectation value.

Secondly, why are you calculating the expectation value? I thought you said the problem asked you to calculate [itex]L_y\vert\psi\rangle[/tex]...

[tex]=\frac{1}{2i}[\hbar\sqrt{(l_{\mp}m)(l_{\pm}m+1)}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{ 2}}[<1|L_{+}|1>-\frac{1}{2}<0|L_{+}|0>+\frac{1}{2}<-1|L_{+}|-1>
-\hbar\sqrt{(l_{\mp}m)(l_{\pm}m+1)}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{ 2}}]<1|L_{-}|1>-
\frac{1}{2}<0|L_{-}|0>+\frac{1}{2}<-1|L_{-}|-1>]] [/tex]

You need to be careful here, the states [itex]|0\rangle[/itex], [itex]|1\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|-1\rangle[/itex] correspond to the different values of [itex]m[/itex], so the coefficient [itex]\sqrt{(l\mp m)(l \pm m+1)}[/itex] will have different values when [itex]L_y[/itex] operates on each state. For example,

[tex]L_+\vert0\rangle=\hbar\sqrt{(1-0)(1+ 0+1)}|1,0+1\rangle=\sqrt{2}\hbar|1,1\rangle[/tex]

while

[tex]L_+\vert1\rangle=\hbar\sqrt{(1-1)(1+ 1+1)}|1,1+1\rangle=0[/tex].

You also need to operate on the state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] with [itex]L_y[/itex], before you multiply by [itex]\langle\psi|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\langle1|-\frac{1}{2}\langle0|+\frac{1}{2}\langle-1|[/itex] and distribute the different inner products. For example,

[tex]\left(\langle0|+\langle1|\right)L_{-}\left(|0\rangle+|1\rangle\right)=\langle0|L_{-}|0\rangle+\langle0|L_{-}|1\rangle+\langle1|L_{-}|0\rangle+\langle1|L_{-}|1\rangle\neq\langle0|L_{-}|0\rangle+\langle1|L_{-}|1\rangle[/tex]

Last edited:
latentcorpse said:
bleh...it's going to be a long road back.

ok try this:

[itex]<\psi^{\star}|L_y|\psi>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^{\star} L_y \psi dx[/itex]

when we dot product [itex]\psi^{\star}[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] we get 1 though due to ket orthogonality.
what value do I use for [itex]L_y[/itex]?
do the limits change due to the allowed values for [itex]L_y[/itex]?

thanks for your help.

First, the integral on the RHS is what you get when you expand [itex]\psi[/itex], [itex]\psi^*[/itex] and [itex]L_y[/itex] in the x-basis...if you don't know what those expanded versions are, there is not much point in using this method.

Second, [itex]L_y[/itex] operates on [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] before you take the product with [itex]\psi^*[/itex], so unless the effect of the operator is to simply multiply by a scalar (say,[itex]\alpha[/itex] ), you can't
say that [itex]\oint\psi^*(x)L_y\psi(x)dx=\alpha\oint \psi^*(x)\psi(x)dx[/itex].

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
Is there a reason why you've written the [itex]\pm[/itex] as subscripts on the RHS?...Surely you mean

[tex]L_{\pm}|l,m\rangle=\hbar\sqrt{(l\mp m)(l \pm m+1)}|l,m \pm 1\rangle[/tex]

Right?
First, [itex]L_y[/itex] is just an operator, [itex]\langle L_y\rangle=\langle\psi\vert\L_y\vert\psi\rangle[/itex] is its expectation value.

Secondly, why are you calculating the expectation value? I thought you said the problem asked you to calculate [itex]L_y\vert\psi\rangle[/tex]...
You need to be careful here, the states [itex]|0\rangle[/itex], [itex]|1\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|-1\rangle[/itex] correspond to the different values of [itex]m[/itex], so the coefficient [itex]\sqrt{\sqrt{(l\mp m)(l \pm m+1)}} will have different values when [itex]L_y[/itex] operates on each state. For example,

[tex]L_+\vert0\rangle=\hbar\sqrt{(1-0)(1+ 0+1)}|1,0+1\rangle=\sqrt{2}\hbar|1,1\rangle[/tex]

while

[tex]L_+\vert1\rangle=\hbar\sqrt{(1-1)(1+ 1+1)}|1,1+1\rangle=0[/tex].

You also need to operate on the state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] with [itex]L_y[/itex], before you multiply by [itex]\langle\psi|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\langle1|-\frac{1}{2}\langle0|+\frac{1}{2}\langle-1|[/itex] and distribute the different inner products. For example,

[tex]\left(\langle0|+\langle1|\right)L_{-}\left(|0\rangle+|1\rangle\right)=\langle0|L_{-}|0\rangle+\langle0|L_{-}|1\rangle+\langle1|L_{-}|0\rangle+\langle1|L_{-}|1\rangle\neq\langle0|L_{-}|0\rangle+\langle1|L_{-}|1\rangle[/tex]

thank for the thorough explanation,
to answer part 1, the +/- at RHS is not a subscript, the latex formatted it that, it doesn't meant to be. after reading your code, i understand how to format it already.

part II, i am calculating the expectation value, not the
[itex]L_y\vert\psi\rangle[/itex]. as i read the question wrongly (it was a handwritten one)

part III, the operation is distributive.Noted. thanks for the good effort ;)

thanks a lot. had a look over some notes from last year as well as your reply - helped a lot!

1. What is an angular operator?

An angular operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol L and is composed of three components: Lx, Ly, and Lz.

2. How is the total angular momentum wavefunction related to the angular operator?

The total angular momentum wavefunction, denoted by Ψ, is related to the angular operator through the equation L²Ψ = ℏ²l(l+1)Ψ, where l is the quantum number associated with the angular momentum.

3. How do you find the angular operator given the total angular momentum wavefunction?

The angular operator can be found by solving the above equation for , which gives L² = ℏ²l(l+1). This can then be expressed in terms of the three components of the angular operator as L² = Lx² + Ly² + Lz².

4. What are the units of the angular operator?

The units of the angular operator are , which represents the reduced Planck's constant, and l(l+1), which is a dimensionless quantity. Therefore, the units of the angular operator are ℏ².

5. Can the angular operator be used for any type of angular momentum?

Yes, the angular operator can be used for any type of angular momentum, including orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum. However, the value of l will vary depending on the type of angular momentum being described.