Understanding Collisions with Springs: Inelastic vs. Elastic Motion Explained

In summary, the maximum compression of a spring when a mass collides with it attached to a different mass occurs when the velocities of both masses are the same. This is due to the geometry of the situation, where maximum compression means the spring is shortest and therefore the two ends must have the same velocity. The equation of motion for the "chunk" that is the masses plus spring is dependent on the centre of mass, which has no external forces acting on it. The potential being stored in the spring does not affect the velocity of the masses, as the law of springs is not needed to understand this concept. The maximum compression is related to the minimum distance between the masses and does not involve any laws of springs. Understanding this concept is important for mechanics
1st2fall
When a mass collides with a spring attached to a different mass; why is the maximum compression of the spring when the velocity of both masses is the same? (Spring is massless and surface is frictionless to make things simpler)

My mechanics teacher told me this when I was solving (or rather, failing to solve) something I saw in a book (for fun).

Also, how would an equation of motion for the "chunk" that is the masses+plus spring come out? I felt like I was over complicating things when I did it.

So basically, I'd like help understanding collisions that are inelastic...then elastic.

(Can anyone help me find some similar situations I could look at?)

*This wasn't for homework and I am not looking for a solution~ I'm just looking for understanding of motion.

**Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 1st2fall! :smile:
1st2fall said:
When a mass collides with a spring attached to a different mass; why is the maximum compression of the spring when the velocity of both masses is the same?

That's just geometry …

maximum compression is when the d/dt (x1 - x2) = 0,

which is the same as dx1/dt = dx2/dt,

ie both velocities are the same. :wink:
Also, how would an equation of motion for the "chunk" that is the masses+plus spring come out?

There are no external forces on it, so its centre of mass … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:

That's just geometry …

maximum compression is when the d/dt (x1 - x2) = 0,

which is the same as dx1/dt = dx2/dt,

ie both velocities are the same. :wink:

There are no external forces on it, so its centre of mass … ? :smile:

But there is a potential being stored in the spring :confused: shouldn't this be "sucking up" kinetic energy for a brief period of time and slowing the bulk motion?

(just got up :zzz: …)
1st2fall said:
When a mass collides with a spring attached to a different mass; why is the maximum compression of the spring when the velocity of both masses is the same?
1st2fall said:
But there is a potential being stored in the spring :confused: shouldn't this be "sucking up" kinetic energy for a brief period of time and slowing the bulk motion?

This has nothing to do with physics.

It's just geometry … "maximum compression" means minimum distance between the masses (it doesn't matter why), and that means the masses have the same velocity.

tiny-tim said:

(just got up :zzz: …)

This has nothing to do with physics.

It's just geometry … "maximum compression" means minimum distance between the masses (it doesn't matter why), and that means the masses have the same velocity.
Wait...is this because if both sides attached are moving at the same velocity...there'd be nothing "pushing" it in? oh...fail...I think I understand...

No, I mean while the velocities *are* different, while it's in the process of compression. If the spring is moving relative to it's initial position... the kinetic energy is being converted into potential, wouldn't the moving spring slow down? Or am I badly missing something here too... ?? :frown:

Energy conservation and me don't get along very well. I got 33.75 on my practice exam multiple choice (35 questions, .25 deducted per incorrect) for mechanics because I missed a simple spring problem... I really need to understand this and conservation much better so that I don't have such trivial problems when I'm in mechanics II next year @.@

1st2fall said:
No, I mean while the velocities *are* different, while it's in the process of compression. If the spring is moving relative to it's initial position... the kinetic energy is being converted into potential, wouldn't the moving spring slow down? Or am I badly missing something here too... ?? :frown:

You're making this too complicated. :redface:

Just because it's a spring, that doesn't mean any of the laws of springs are needed.

"Maximum compression" means the spring is shortest.

Never mind why it's shortest … you're told that it is shortest, and if it's shortest (or longest), the two ends must have the same velocity. :smile:

1. What is the difference between inelastic and elastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the kinetic energy is not conserved as some of it is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy.

2. How does the elasticity of a spring affect collisions?

The elasticity of a spring plays a crucial role in collisions as it determines how much kinetic energy is conserved during the collision. Inelastic collisions occur when the spring is not able to fully return to its original shape, while elastic collisions occur when the spring is able to fully return to its original shape.

3. Can a spring have both inelastic and elastic collisions?

Yes, a spring can have both inelastic and elastic collisions. The type of collision depends on the elasticity of the spring and the objects involved in the collision. In some cases, the collision may be partially inelastic and partially elastic.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect collisions with a spring?

The mass of the objects involved in the collision affects the outcome of the collision. In general, heavier objects will result in a more inelastic collision, as more kinetic energy is needed to deform the spring. Lighter objects will result in a more elastic collision, as less kinetic energy is needed to deform the spring.

5. What are some real-life examples of collisions with springs?

Collisions with springs are common in everyday life. Some examples include a car hitting a speed bump, a person jumping on a trampoline, or a basketball bouncing off the ground. In each of these cases, the spring (or suspension system) is responsible for absorbing the energy of the collision and determining the resulting motion.