ODE Population Problem: Proportional Growth with Time and Monthly Increase of 20

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the rate of change in population, which is proportional to the square root of time. The initial population is 100 and the population increases at a rate of 20 per month. The question is how many rabbits are there after one year, with the answer being 484. The conversation also touches on how to set up logistics equations and how to incorporate the given information into the equation.
cue928
I know that the rate of change with time of a population is proportional to the square root of t. T=0 is y = 100. Population increases at rate of 20 per month.

I started out by trying to do dy/dt = p^.5. I am used to the population problems where I use y=Ce^(rt) but am having trouble making the jump to this kind. How do you account for the increase of 20/month?

Physics news on Phys.org
The population always increases at a rate of 20 per month, or is that an initial value?

Yes, always increases at rate of 20/month and initial population is 100.

Than the question makes no sense to me. How can the rate of increase in the population be of 20/month and proportional to the square root of t at the same time?

You and me both then. Here is the exact question:
The time rate of change of a rabbit population P is proportional to the square root of P. At time t = 0 (months) the population numbers 100 rabbits and is increasing at the rate of 20 rabbits per month. How many after one year? The answer I guess is 484.

How do you set up logistics equations?

So 20/month is an initial value.

The rate of change of P, i.e. it's derivative with respect to P is proportional to the square root of P:

[tex] \frac{dP(t)}{dt} = \alpha P^{1/2} [/tex]

where alpha is a constant with respect to. You also know that

[tex] \frac{dP(t)}{dt} \bigg|_{t=0}} = 20 \ rabbits/month [/tex]

and that

[tex]P(0) = 100 \ rabbits[/tex]

Which is all the info you need to determine P(t)

Last edited:
I appreciate what you wrote but I'm still unsure on where to start. I see that I was wrong to have a p^.5 on the right. Should I go ahead and start separating variables and then moving forward?

cue928 said:
I appreciate what you wrote but I'm still unsure on where to start. I see that I was wrong to have a p^.5 on the right

OOOPSSS, my mistake. I corrected it in the previous post.

cue928 said:
Should I go ahead and start separating variables and then moving forward?
Of course you should. Even in the case where you shouldn't, equations don't bite you know.

But how do you incorporate the dp/dt = 20 and P(0) = 100? I've done the sep of variables, no problem there. Sitting on 2p^.5 = (alpha)t + C.

Made another attempt at this, can you tell me where I'm going wrong?
I came up with this equation after sep of variables: 2p^.5 = Bt + C.
1) With t = 0 and initial population of 100, I came up with a C value of 100.
2) With t = 1, population = 120, so I came up with a "B" value of 120.
3) But then when I do time = 12, I don't get anywhere near the 484 rabbits that I should have.

Er, did you solve for p in your equation so you have some p(t) on the left side instead of 2p^.5?

cue928 said:
2) With t = 1, population = 120, so I came up with a "B" value of 120.

This is wrong. What you have is P'(0) = 20. So use the derivative of P to find B. Do you realize that the rate of change in the population is the derivative of P?

Last edited:

1. What is an ODE Population problem?

An ODE Population problem is a mathematical model that describes the change in a population over time, using Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs). It takes into account factors such as birth rate, death rate, and migration to predict the future population size.

2. How is an ODE Population problem solved?

An ODE Population problem is solved by using numerical methods to approximate the solution. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler steps and using algorithms to calculate the population size at each time step.

3. What are some applications of ODE Population problems?

ODE Population problems have many real-world applications, such as predicting the growth or decline of human populations, animal populations, and bacterial populations. They are also used in ecology, epidemiology, and economics.

4. What are the limitations of ODE Population problems?

ODE Population problems have some limitations, such as assuming a constant birth and death rate, which may not always hold true in real-world scenarios. They also do not take into account external factors that may affect the population, such as natural disasters or human interventions.

5. How can we improve the accuracy of ODE Population models?

To improve the accuracy of ODE Population models, we can incorporate more complex and realistic factors, such as age structure, immigration, and emigration. We can also use data-driven approaches to adjust the model parameters and validate the results with real-world data.