Have we changed the time limit for edits again?

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, Greg changed the edit time to 2 hours in order to prevent cheaters from asking a homework question and then deleting all traces. There are still opportunities for people like Evo to ask for help if they need it.
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's working, you can test yourself. Members must be manually deleting the quote.
Nope not working

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=558220

I used the quick reply option that most HHs use.

And if a member can delete the autoquote, then it doesn't help.

But I am not finding any autoquote. Anyone else finding an auto quote when you make a first reply?

Evo said:
Nope not working

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=558220

I used the quick reply option that most HHs use.

And if a member can delete the autoquote, then it doesn't help.

But I am not finding any autoquote. Anyone else finding an auto quote when you make a first reply?

It works if you click the new reply button and it simply fills in the message box with the quote.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It works if you click the new reply button and it simply fills in the message box with the quote.
Can we get rid of the "quick reply" box then? Or make the quick reply box also autoquote?

And thanks to some HHs that have started to use the "quote" button. :approve:

Just bring back the old system! I have cleared my cookies, and washed my disk. I find a post, not for the first time have logged into get the answer button written my answer, must have taken 15-20 min to do so, forgot to save it, went to view, got invited to log in again, did so, lost my answer. :grumpy: This has now happened several times, I've had enough wasted time!

Often finish up with PF Physics For...X in my thingbar if I press the back button a thing goes round and round for ever, or else I get just a blank screed, maybe my browser, Firefox can't handle the site but it could perfectly before the changes.

Is it intentional that you have to re-log in several times a day? Or even while looking at and answering one thread?

It's no good like this or else it needs instructions for dummies.

epenguin said:
Just bring back the old system! I have cleared my cookies, and washed my disk. I find a post, not for the first time have logged into get the answer button written my answer, must have taken 15-20 min to do so, forgot to save it, went to view, got invited to log in again, did so, lost my answer. :grumpy: This has now happened several times, I've had enough wasted time!

Often finish up with PF Physics For...X in my thingbar if I press the back button a thing goes round and round for ever, or else I get just a blank screed, maybe my browser, Firefox can't handle the site but it could perfectly before the changes.

Is it intentional that you have to re-log in several times a day? Or even while looking at and answering one thread?

It's no good like this or else it needs instructions for dummies.

Did you press the "Remember Me" Button?? It prevents you from logging out!

Does the problem with deleting initial posts usually only occur with new posters? That is, someone joins, posts a question or two, then tries to erase their tracks? If so, perhaps the edit option could be suppressed for posters with fewer than, say, 15 posts (pick a number). After they become regular users and they've acquired a footprint the motivation for deleting posts should be gone (or evolved to be based upon more altruistic reasons).

gneill said:
Does the problem with deleting initial posts usually only occur with new posters? That is, someone joins, posts a question or two, then tries to erase their tracks? If so, perhaps the edit option could be suppressed for posters with fewer than, say, 15 posts (pick a number). After they become regular users and they've acquired a footprint the motivation for deleting posts should be gone (or evolved to be based upon more altruistic reasons).
Yes, it's mostly new members.

micromass said:
Did you press the "Remember Me" Button?? It prevents you from logging out!

Yes, I press it every time.

Regarding the issue of deleting posts once their question has been answered,
Evo said:
Yes, it's mostly new members.
On the basic homework help forums, I'm surprised by how many threads get started by users with a posting history of fewer than 6 or 7 posts. This raises the question: are they creating a new login name each time they wish to ask a new question, or are newcomers finding that the forum doesn't provide the immediacy of assistance they'd hoped for and drift away, meaning they never go on to accumulate even a two digit posting history?

NascentOxygen said:
Regarding the issue of deleting posts once their question has been answered,

On the basic homework help forums, I'm surprised by how many threads get started by users with a posting history of fewer than 6 or 7 posts. This raises the question: are they creating a new login name each time they wish to ask a new question, or are newcomers finding that the forum doesn't provide the immediacy of assistance they'd hoped for and drift away, meaning they never go on to accumulate even a two digit posting history?
If it is the same person we would know. I think it's more of a case of students wanting help for a particular problem only, after they get help they never come back.

Ryan_m_b said:
If it is the same person we would know.

How would we know?

I like Serena said:
How would we know?
The mentors have various means of detecting sockpuppets. On top of that there are various members who are good at telling this just by posting behaviour.

<h2>1. What is the current time limit for edits on this platform?</h2><p>The current time limit for edits on this platform is 24 hours.</p><h2>2. Has the time limit for edits been changed recently?</h2><p>Yes, the time limit for edits has been changed recently. It was previously 48 hours and has now been reduced to 24 hours.</p><h2>3. Why was the time limit for edits changed?</h2><p>The time limit for edits was changed in order to encourage users to review and edit their posts in a timely manner, and to maintain the accuracy and relevance of content on the platform.</p><h2>4. Are there any exceptions to the 24-hour time limit for edits?</h2><p>Yes, there are some exceptions to the 24-hour time limit for edits. Users with a higher reputation score may have a longer time limit for edits, and there may be special circumstances where the time limit can be extended.</p><h2>5. Will the time limit for edits change again in the future?</h2><p>It is possible that the time limit for edits may change again in the future. The platform is constantly evaluating and adjusting its policies to best serve its users and maintain the quality of content.</p>

1. What is the current time limit for edits on this platform?

The current time limit for edits on this platform is 24 hours.

2. Has the time limit for edits been changed recently?

Yes, the time limit for edits has been changed recently. It was previously 48 hours and has now been reduced to 24 hours.

3. Why was the time limit for edits changed?

The time limit for edits was changed in order to encourage users to review and edit their posts in a timely manner, and to maintain the accuracy and relevance of content on the platform.

4. Are there any exceptions to the 24-hour time limit for edits?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the 24-hour time limit for edits. Users with a higher reputation score may have a longer time limit for edits, and there may be special circumstances where the time limit can be extended.

5. Will the time limit for edits change again in the future?

It is possible that the time limit for edits may change again in the future. The platform is constantly evaluating and adjusting its policies to best serve its users and maintain the quality of content.