Derivative of kinectic energy , dK/dv

In summary, the derivative of kinetic energy, dK/dv, represents the rate of change of kinetic energy with respect to velocity. It measures how much the kinetic energy of a moving object changes as its velocity changes. This derivative is an important tool in physics and engineering for analyzing the motion and energy of objects. It is often used in calculations involving collisions, acceleration, and forces. Overall, understanding the derivative of kinetic energy is crucial for understanding the behavior and properties of moving objects.
c77793
i'm in my freshman year and I'm starting to learn Derivatives in Calculus, and I was wondering, once Ek (kinectic energy) = 1/2mv², then, the derivative of Ek in term of velocity would be mv, which is equal to the linear momentum... I'm finding hard to understand the idea that the variation of Kinect over a variable velocity is the linear momentum...can someone explain me this in a didactic way? I was just playing around deriving physics formulas haha

Physics news on Phys.org
hi c77793! :smile:
c77793 said:
I'm finding hard to understand the idea that the variation of Kinect over a variable velocity is the linear momentum...can someone explain me this in a didactic way?

it's because of Newtonian Relativity

the (Newtonian) laws of physics are the same in any inertial frame​

suppose you have bodies with ∑miui2 = ∑mivi2 in one frame

now choose another frame with relative velocity w in the k-direction …

∑mi(ui - wk).(ui - wk) = ∑mi(vi - wk).(vi - wk)
cancelling (and dividing by 2) gives us …

w∑miui.k = w∑mivi.k

since w is arbitrary, we can divide by w, and get conservation of momentum in in the k direction

however, instead of cancelling, we could have differentiated wrt w (in other words, exploiting the translational symmetry of Newtonian space), giving …

w∑mi(ui - wk).k = w∑mi(vi - wk).k

(and then cancelled, giving the same result)

(btw, this also works with Einsteinian energy and momentum, in Minkowski space)

c77793 said:
i'm in my freshman year and I'm starting to learn Derivatives in Calculus, and I was wondering, once Ek (kinectic energy) = 1/2mv², then, the derivative of Ek in term of velocity would be mv, which is equal to the linear momentum... I'm finding hard to understand the idea that the variation of Kinect over a variable velocity is the linear momentum...can someone explain me this in a didactic way? I was just playing around deriving physics formulas haha

Well I was also wondering about that and I can't still find the physical relationship between the two, however both are related to force (since force is the derivative of momentum and work is (force)(distance)).
The complete derivation you can find in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=68682

1. What is the formula for the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to velocity?

The formula for the derivative of kinetic energy (dK/dv) is equal to the mass (m) multiplied by the velocity (v).

2. Why is the derivative of kinetic energy important?

The derivative of kinetic energy is important because it represents the rate of change of kinetic energy with respect to velocity. This can help us understand how the kinetic energy of an object changes as its velocity changes, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications.

3. How is the derivative of kinetic energy related to the concept of acceleration?

The derivative of kinetic energy (dK/dv) is directly related to acceleration (a). This is because the derivative of velocity (dv/dt) is equal to acceleration, and the derivative of kinetic energy (dK/dv) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a).

4. Can the derivative of kinetic energy be negative?

Yes, the derivative of kinetic energy can be negative. This would occur if the velocity of an object is decreasing, meaning that the kinetic energy is decreasing at that point in time.

5. How is the derivative of kinetic energy used in real-world scenarios?

The derivative of kinetic energy is used in many real-world scenarios, such as calculating the braking distance of a car, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing the efficiency of a machine. It is also important in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.