Which degree is right for me to have master's in software engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between computer science and computer engineering and which degree would be more suitable for someone interested in software engineering. Computer engineering includes both software and hardware aspects, while computer science focuses solely on software and includes more theory. However, computer science is also likely to include software engineering as a subfield, making it the better choice for someone interested in pursuing software engineering in the future.
cguy450
I've always been fascinated to software's. But my university doesn't provide bachelor in software engineering.There are 2 majors :-Computer Science and Computer Engineering with 143 credit hours each. Which degree would be right for me so that I can follow the software engineering later in my master's level ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Computer engineering has software plus some hardware background: circuits, solid state devices, and labs. You can include courses on device or real time programming if your interests lean that way.

Computer science is strictly software, but includes more theory of algorithms, and perhaps compilers. If you are not interested in hardware or physics you may prefer this course.

Of course you will learn to program in either - but the nature of the projects at the upper levels will be different. You should check with an academic adviser for both programs prior to making a decision.

Last edited:
Computer science should include software engineering as a subfield.

Computer engineering is likely to be hardware-oriented and may not include any courses for software engineering.

Thus, for you, computer science would be the better choice.

1. What is the difference between a Master of Science in Software Engineering and a Master of Engineering in Software Engineering?

The main difference between these two degrees is the focus of their coursework. A Master of Science in Software Engineering typically has a more theoretical and research-based approach, while a Master of Engineering in Software Engineering is more practical and hands-on. Additionally, a Master of Science degree may require a thesis or research project, while a Master of Engineering degree may require a capstone project or internship.

2. Can I pursue a Master's in Software Engineering if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, many universities offer Master's in Software Engineering programs specifically designed for students with non-technical backgrounds. However, it is important to note that these programs may have prerequisite courses that need to be completed before starting the program. It is also recommended to have some basic knowledge of computer science and programming before enrolling in a Master's in Software Engineering program.

3. What skills will I gain from a Master's in Software Engineering?

A Master's in Software Engineering program will provide you with advanced technical skills in software development, programming languages, data structures and algorithms, software architecture, and software testing. It will also help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management skills, which are essential for success in the software engineering field.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master's in Software Engineering?

The duration of a Master's in Software Engineering program can vary depending on the university and whether you are pursuing it full-time or part-time. Typically, a full-time student can complete the program in two years, while a part-time student may take three to four years. Some universities also offer accelerated programs that can be completed in one year.

5. What are the career opportunities after completing a Master's in Software Engineering?

With a Master's in Software Engineering, you can pursue various career opportunities in the technology industry such as software developer, software engineer, software architect, systems analyst, and project manager. You can also work in a variety of industries, including healthcare, finance, e-commerce, and government agencies. Additionally, this degree can also prepare you for leadership roles in the field of software engineering.