Force caused by a bullet in a bone

In summary, it is possible to calculate the force caused by a bullet in a bone, knowing the velocity of the bullet when fired, its weight, and the bone's thickness. The model used to calculate this force is based on the change in velocity and the time over which that change happens.
danielamartins
Is it possible to calculate the force caused by a bullet in a bone, knowing the velocity of the bullet when fired, its weight, and the bone's thickness?
If so, could you explain it a bit?
I need to create a sort of exercise, so I wanted to do something involving a bullet and a body. Therefore, I could add some details/info if necessary...

Physics news on Phys.org
danielamartins said:
Is it possible to calculate the force caused by a bullet in a bone, knowing the velocity of the bullet when fired, its weight, and the bone's thickness?
If so, could you explain it a bit?
I need to create a sort of exercise, so I wanted to do something involving a bullet and a body. Therefore, I could add some details/info if necessary...

An easy model that will get results that are order-of-magnitude sensible is to assume that the bullet decelerates at a constant rate until it either comes to a stop or exits the other side at a slower speed.

Now the thickness of the bone gives you the distance traveled, the initial speed and assumption of constant deceleration gives you the average speed that distance is traversed, from that you get the time of passage and the deceleration. Now the mass of the bullet and ##F=ma## will see you home.

No doubt the forensic pathologists have waaaay more sophisticated models... But not necessarily the case that a more sophisticated and accurate model will produce any more insights.

Thanks, but how can I calculate the acceleration?

danielamartins said:
Thanks, but how can I calculate the acceleration?

You know the change in velocity and you can calculate the time over which that change happens. For example, if a projectile moving at 20 m/sec is brought to a stop over a distance of 1 meter...

Its average speed through that meter is 10 m/sec (average of 20 and 0, assuming constant deceleration) so it take .1 sec to cover that one meter. Because the speed goes from 20 m/sec to 0 m/sec in that .1 sec, so the deceleration is 200 m/sec2.

Oh thanks! I was making it more difficult than it actually is. I'll try to do all the calculations and then, I'll post them here. If u could take a look I would appreciate it ;)

What is force caused by a bullet in a bone?

The force caused by a bullet in a bone is the impact force generated when a bullet penetrates and damages the bone tissue.

How is the force of a bullet in a bone calculated?

The force of a bullet in a bone can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as the density and strength of the bone, are important factors in the calculation.

What factors affect the force of a bullet in a bone?

The force of a bullet in a bone is influenced by several factors, including the velocity and mass of the bullet, the angle of impact, the density and strength of the bone, and the distance the bullet travels within the bone.

Can the force of a bullet in a bone cause damage to surrounding tissues?

Yes, the force of a bullet in a bone can cause damage to surrounding soft tissues such as muscles, nerves, and blood vessels. This is due to the transfer of energy from the bullet to the bone and then to the surrounding tissues.

What implications does understanding the force of a bullet in a bone have in forensic investigations?

Understanding the force of a bullet in a bone is crucial in forensic investigations as it can provide valuable information about the type of weapon used, the distance between the shooter and the victim, and the angle of impact. This information can help determine the circumstances surrounding a shooting and aid in the investigation process.