How can I protect my bandaged ankle while showering?

In summary, the therapist said I should not get the bandage wet, and I can purchase a cast cover to shower with.
delete
I have a sprained ankle. On my first visit to the therapist, he stuck a bandage on my ankle, such that it went 270deg around.

Issues:

1. No mention of how I am supposed to shower. Do I take care to leave the bandage or do I let it peel off? I take a shower everyday, and there is no way the adhesive can remain intake.

2. Why not go all around the ankle? Bandages that go all around a limb and adhere to themselves are actually difficult to remove.

I am going to ask the therapist on my next visit. At this point, I feel like I'm going to embarrass him. For his sake, I hope I'm missing something.

Biology news on Phys.org
delete said:
I have a sprained ankle. On my first visit to the therapist, he stuck a bandage on my ankle, such that it went 270deg around.

Issues:

1. No mention of how I am supposed to shower. Do I take care to leave the bandage or do I let it peel off? I take a shower everyday, and there is no way the adhesive can remain intake.

2. Why not go all around the ankle? Bandages that go all around a limb and adhere to themselves are actually difficult to remove.

I am going to ask the therapist on my next visit. At this point, I feel like I'm going to embarrass him. For his sake, I hope I'm missing something.

Just call their office to ask about the shower question today. I'm sure a nurse or somebody there can give you the answer. I'm guessing the answer will be "don't get it wet", but you should call them to be sure.

I doubt you will embarass the therapist. You may even learn something new... :smile:

delete said:

Issues:

As far as showering is concerned, you can purchase what is known as a 'cast cover'. These covers are available so that you can slip them on over an arm or a leg and take a shower without getting a cast or other bandage wet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leg-Cast-Pr...=100009&prg=10050&rk=4&rkt=10&sd=110835573102

These covers can usually be purchased locally from a medical supply house or well stocked pharmacy. The cover has a soft rubber top part thru which you insert your leg before showering. I use such a cover which fits up over my knee to protect the bandages I have on my leg.

Bell-Horn is one such manufacturer but they have a horrible web site. Google "cast protectors" to get pictures and a better idea of what is available.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of physical therapy?

Physical therapy is a branch of healthcare that uses exercises and specialized techniques to help patients regain or improve physical function and mobility. It is often used to treat injuries, chronic pain, and disabilities.

2. How do bandages help with physical therapy?

Bandages are used in physical therapy to provide support and stability to injured or weakened body parts. They can also help reduce swelling and promote healing by compressing the injured area.

3. Can anyone perform physical therapy exercises at home?

While some physical therapy exercises can be done at home, it is important to consult with a trained physical therapist to ensure proper technique and avoid further injury. They can also provide personalized exercises and monitor progress.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with physical therapy?

Physical therapy is generally safe and has minimal risks or side effects. However, as with any physical activity, there is a risk of aggravating an existing injury or experiencing muscle soreness. It is important to follow a physical therapist's instructions and communicate any discomfort.

5. How long does physical therapy treatment typically last?

The duration of physical therapy treatment depends on the individual's condition and progress. It can range from a few weeks to several months. The frequency of sessions can also vary, but typically patients attend 1-3 sessions per week.