Can the Universe's Expansion Allow Us to Escape Its Event Horizon?

• Thread starter daveb
  • Start date
In summary, there is a fundamental flaw in the concept of an "event horizon" being outside the confines of the universe due to the expansion of the universe. This is because the concept requires the universe to be asymptotically flat, which is not the case for our universe as a whole. Therefore, the idea of escaping the event horizon using the Hubble expansion is not valid in our universe.
daveb
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes anyway.
While musing about various weirdness recently, I wondered about the following:
Last I heard, cosmologists still refere to the universe has having a size (i.e., light years across). After the Big Bang, and at some point afterwards, the universe's "radius" was less than twice its mass, so the event horizon (so to speak) was outside the confines of the universe. Eventually, the universe expanded, and this "radius" exceeded twice the mass (haven't done any calculations to see when or even if this has occurred yet). So that means one could theoretically escape the event horizon for the universe (to who knows where) on the assumption one could overtake the Hubble expansion.
I know there's something funadmentally wrong with this, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Space news on Phys.org
The fundamental issue is that the concept of "event horizon" you are using is the boundary of a region of spacetime that cannot send light signals to infinity. But this concept requires the spacetime to have an "infinity", i.e., that the spacetime must be asymptotically flat. Heuristically, this means the spacetime has an isolated region occupied by "matter", surrounded by empty space. But the spacetime of our universe as a whole is not like that: it has roughly the same average density of matter everywhere, and is not asymptotically flat. So the concept of "event horizon" (and "black hole") that you are using doesn't even make sense for the spacetime of our universe as a whole.

More information in this Insights article:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/universe-black-hole/

Likes elcaro, PeroK and Drakkith

What is the Universe's weirdness?

The Universe's weirdness refers to the strange and unexplained phenomena that occur in our universe, such as dark matter, black holes, and quantum mechanics.

What is dark matter and why is it considered weird?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter. It is considered weird because it makes up about 85% of the matter in the universe, yet we still do not fully understand its composition or how it behaves.

Why are black holes considered weird and what do we know about them?

Black holes are regions in space with such strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from them. They are considered weird because they defy our understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. We know that they form when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity, but there is still much we do not know about them.

What is quantum mechanics and why is it considered weird?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It is considered weird because it challenges our classical understanding of physics and introduces concepts such as superposition and entanglement, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and can affect each other even when separated by great distances.

Is it possible for us to fully understand the weirdness of the Universe?

As scientists, we are constantly learning and discovering more about the universe and its weirdness. However, it is possible that there are phenomena that we may never fully understand or be able to explain. The universe is vast and complex, and there may always be mysteries that we have yet to uncover.