How does the water powered calculator work?

In summary, the water powered calculator works by using electrodes coated with Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) to produce an electric charge when immersed in water. The reaction is permanent as long as the water is replaced when needed, but the battery has a lifespan of approximately 2 years. The device is similar to a lead acid battery, but uses water instead of diluted sulfuric acid. It is important to note that the website promoting the product may not be entirely accurate, and other sources should be consulted for more reliable information. Other long lifespan batteries, such as those using plutonium, are not readily available for consumer use.
paulhunn
Can anyone shed any light on how this water powered calculator works please? http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7c17/

Thanks, Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrodes coated with NiHM; when emersed in water, they produce ellectric charge.

LURCH said:
Electrodes coated with NiHM; when emersed in water, they produce ellectric charge.

Is this a permanent reaction or is it dependent on how much of the NiMH (isn't it NiMH?) is in there?

According to the article its permanent as long as you replace the water when needed. It couldn't run indefinatly because that would constitute perpetual energy i.e energy generated from nothing.

paulhunn said:
According to the article its permanent as long as you replace the water when needed. It couldn't run indefinatly because that would constitute perpetual energy i.e energy generated from nothing.

I'm talking about the NiMH.

Anyone know the answer to this?

The article is misleading. I checked eslewhere. Continuous battery life is about 2 years. So it's not really much different than a lead acid battery, just different metals, and uses water instead of diluted sulphuric acid to trigger the reaction. Buyer beware, some of these products don't provide a means for replacing the batteries.

Pengwuino said:
I'm talking about the NiMH.
Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are one kind of recharble batteris. There are three basic type of rechargable batteries used in radio control models. The classic ones are Ni-Cads, later NiMH batteries came out and had more capacity for the same weight, but I think there was a current limit. Other than high powered electrics, which draw 80 amps or so, the NiMh batteries work in most applications. The latest technology for rc stuff is Li-Poly batteries. Li-Polys give you the most capacity for the weight and packs consist of a combination of cells combined in parallel (more current) and/or in series (more voltage). Special car is needed for these batteries, Ni-Cads are the hardiest, the main issue is not to drain them much below .9 volts per cell. NiMH batteries can be permanently damaged from overcharging (and maybe over draining, not sure on this one). Li-Poly's will explode under certain conditions. Nicads can be charged with simple brick chargerss, but you need "smart" chargers for NiMH and Li-Poly cells. When charged, Ni-cads are about 1.2 volts per cell, Ni-MH's are about 1.1 volts per cell, and Li-Poly's are about 3.7 volts per cell. Just like any battery, the voltage drops as current load increases. Capacity also is affected by the current load.

Last edited:
Jeff, the device works by water alone. The assumption is that there is a NiMH layer inside promoting the electrolysis creating the electricity.

Pengwuino said:
Jeff, the device works by water alone. The assumption is that there is a NiMH layer inside promoting the electrolysis creating the electricity.
Yes, but just like any conventional battery, metal is moving from one electrode to the other, eventually you run out of metal. As mentioned before, life span is 2 years for these batteries.

I don't think your getting my point about the web site. It's a salesman talking and his lips are moving.

If you want a long life span battery, nothing beats plutionium buttons generating heat to drive thermacouples, commonly used in satellites and the lunar module portion of the Apollo space craft. However, it seems to be difficult to find plutonium based consumer products. They don't use radium / luminous paint on clock dials any more. However they do have tritium / phosphor gauges now (life span also about 2 years). Now you're probably thinking hydrogen bomb, but the trick here is getting enough plutonium to set off the fusion reaction, and I can't find plutonium for sale even on Ebay.

Personally, I have my own quest for special metals. I fly radio control gliders, and it would save some space if instead of using lead weights for balancing and ballast, I could find some depleted uranium. However it's been hard to find, as we haven't had any wars over here in So Californina where the depleted urainium shells are used, and the local military surplus stores don't seem to carry the stuff.

Last edited:

What is a water powered calculator?

A water powered calculator is a type of calculator that uses water as its source of energy instead of traditional batteries. It works by converting the energy from the water into electrical energy to power the calculator.

How does a water powered calculator work?

A water powered calculator uses a chemical reaction between water and a metal, such as zinc, to create an electrical charge. This charge is then used to power the calculator, allowing it to perform calculations just like a regular calculator.

What are the advantages of using a water powered calculator?

One of the main advantages of using a water powered calculator is that it is environmentally friendly. It does not require the use of batteries, which can be harmful to the environment when disposed of. Additionally, it is a renewable energy source, meaning that the calculator can continue to be used as long as there is access to water.

Are there any limitations to using a water powered calculator?

While water powered calculators are a great alternative to traditional battery-powered calculators, they do have some limitations. They are not as powerful as some other calculators and may not be suitable for complex calculations. Additionally, they require a constant supply of water to function, which may not always be readily available.

Can a water powered calculator be used for other devices?

Yes, the technology used in water powered calculators can also be applied to other devices such as clocks, radios, and flashlights. These devices would also use water as their source of energy instead of batteries, making them more environmentally friendly and sustainable.