How Does Satellite Orbit Duration Affect Gravity Calculation?

• Thread starter Physics103
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: M. In summary, the satellite orbits Earth with a period of 5100s. The value for the gravitational constant (g) is close to 9.8 at this point due to the small value for T.
Physics103
A satellite orbits Earth with T= 5.1 x 10^3 s. What is the value for g at this point.

some constants i found:
Mass of Earth = 5.98 x 10^24lg
r of Earth = 6.38 x10^6m

I realize that because the T is pretty small that the value for g will be close to 9.8. This is what i can think of

Gmemo / r^2 = mg
Gme / r^2 = g

and

Fc = mo4pie^2r / T^2
Since Fc = Fg

mg = mo4pie^2r / T^2
thus g = 4pie^2r / T^2

i tried subbing the equations together to get r and from that get g but it seems to me like I am doing it wrong. Its only a multiple choice problem so i don't see why it would be so complicated (if infact its done they i showed).

Thank for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational constant (g) depends on the square of the distance from the centre of the Earth.

yes but your not given the distance... only the radius of earth

Let the force of attraction between the satelite be F. Let the mass of Earth be taken as M and G is constant of gravity while g is thevalue of acceleration due to gravity for a point situated there at a point r distance away from the surface of the Earth which has radius as R. So distance betwen centre of mass is R + r. Let the mass of the staelite be m.
So now by Newton's law we get, F = mg = mMG/(R + r)^2
Therefore g = MG/(R + r)^2. In this equation we have two unknowns and so the question is unsolvable from just this equation.
So let us take the equation involving the period taken to revolve around earth. It took 5100s to complete one revolution. Fromthis information, by assuming that the only Force applied on the on object is the Earth's gravitational speed while other forced are negligibe compared to this, we can say that there is no tangential acceleration along the circular path propelled by the body. Thus we get the angular velocity of the body. And from this we get the radial component of acceleration of the circle.
w = 2pi/T
F = mw^2/R + r.
g = w^2/R + r
MG/(R + r)^2 = w^2/(R + r)
MG/w^2 = R + r
Even if it is a multiple choice question I cannot think of something that will help you in this question even without solving it.

ahh my class skipped angular velocity maybe that's why i didn't know what to do.

thanks a bunch

Using the centripetal force equation one gets
[tex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]
and substituting for v
[tex]v=\frac{2\pi r}{T}[/tex]
this centripetal force is supplied by the universal gravitational force and by using the fact that
[tex]g=G\frac{M}{r^2}[/tex]
you get the required formula in terms of [itex]r,\ T[/itex]

What is centripetal force and how does it relate to Fg?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. Fg, or gravitational force, is the force of gravity pulling an object towards the center of the Earth. Centripetal force is required to counterbalance Fg and keep the object moving in a circular path instead of falling towards the Earth.

What is the equation for calculating centripetal force?

The equation for calculating centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How is centripetal force related to the speed and radius of an object in circular motion?

As the speed of an object increases, the centripetal force required to keep it in a circular path also increases. Similarly, as the radius of the circular path increases, the centripetal force required decreases. This is because the velocity and radius are directly proportional to the centripetal force, as shown in the equation Fc = mv^2/r.

Can centripetal force and Fg be the same value?

No, centripetal force and Fg are not the same value. Centripetal force is a net force that is required to keep an object moving in a circular path, while Fg is the force of gravity pulling an object towards the center of the Earth. These forces act in different directions and have different magnitudes.

How does centripetal force affect the motion of an object?

Centripetal force affects the motion of an object by constantly changing its direction, keeping it moving in a circular path. This allows the object to maintain a constant speed and not fall towards the center of the circle. Without centripetal force, the object would move in a straight line due to its inertia.