Does anyone know of any Video Lectures

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for accessing free online resources for Calculus 2, specifically for introductory integration and formal definitions of limits. The conversation also touches on the possibility of taking Calculus in high school and the different routes for pursuing a math-related subject in college.
Saladsamurai
that can be accessed online for free that cover Calculus 2 (at least intro to integration/formal def'n of limit)? I am trying to get ahead for next semester. I have found some through Google, but I was hoping someone knew of a good one.

I have a couple of texts, but I learn much quicker demonstratively.

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Kummer. I found a lot of vids at some Unversity websites, but they are in dot RAM format; i am not familiar with this and I use a Mac. . . anyone know what program I can use (if i can even use one)?

Saladsamurai said:
Thanks Kummer. I found a lot of vids at some Unversity websites, but they are in dot RAM format; i am not familiar with this and I use a Mac. . . anyone know what program I can use (if i can even use one)?
For example what sites?

---
You can find complete lectures at:
ocw.mit.edu

But that is more advanced material and does not cover Calculus.

I.e. http://press.princeton.edu/video/banner/8351.html ...it says to download real player...but I don't know if I can do that with my mac...I could try, but I just know that windows media player for mac was a crapshoot...

Edit: Realplayer download works fine. Thanks.

Last edited:
Anything else? I was hoping for an intoduction to integration/antiderivatives since I have just completed calc I.

Here is a link to a full semester of Calc 1 lectures. The second link is to the course web site, as the videos seem to be reset each semester.

http://onesource4media.com/masterli/math.html
http://faculty.uml.edu/rbrent/131/

Here is a link to a bunch of mini videos on Calc 1 and above

http://online.math.uh.edu/Math1314/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks coolmoss

I'm at work so I'm sorry I can't be more precise, but I believe you can find lectures for calculus 2 at the university of alabama somewhere(it's from Stewart's calculus) Also I believe Berkley has some lectures that are presented under a title of Integration Techniques and Infinite Series.

Haven't been a member for an hour and I've already gotten the answer to my question!
My husband and I are always looking for ways to improve our calculus knowledge base...wait till I tell him there's a website and a forum of people who love knowledge as much as we do!

I always recommend this one http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/strangtext.htm . it's not a video, but he writes in a very casual tone and explains pretty well.

kind of a related question: is calculus something that is taught in high-school, or in first year? I didn't take math on my last high-school year, so I don't know if it was covered, and I don't remember them covering it at all the year before that...

In the USA, Calculus can be taught in the junior and/or senior year of high school. The program is for students who are taking "an accelerated route" to mathematics. You can receive college credits by passing an exam called the Advanced Placement Calculus AB and/or BC exam, which is run by the College Board. Calculus AB roughly equals Calculus I and BC is Calculus II.

Not all students take Calculus in high school; some only finish with a knowledge of Precalculus or Algebra II.

ok, so it's optional for those who are going into a math-related subject post high-school?

in Canada we have university bound, college bound, and remedial classes. I took college-bound Math, and university-bound english, chemistry, biology, and all that; so maybe that's why it wasn't covered.
or maybe they covered it on that last year (math isn't mandatory for grade 12).

... now that I think about it, I don't even remember them covering basic trig. :rofl: when I joined PF I didn't even know what sin cos tan was :eek:...

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to sign up for university-bound math; this has been like starting from 0 for me; to have spent all the time I did learning things I could've already learned in school. It also sucks that I don't have as much free time to read math and physics now that I'm starting to work.

O well, better slow progress than no progress...

Last edited:
You do not require Calculus in high school, but require at least three years of some type of math.

1. What is the benefit of watching video lectures?

Video lectures provide a visual and auditory learning experience, making it easier for the viewer to understand and retain information. They also allow for flexibility in learning, as they can be accessed at any time and from any location with internet access.

2. Where can I find video lectures?

Video lectures can be found on various platforms such as educational websites, YouTube, and online learning platforms like Coursera and edX. They may also be available on university or organization websites.

3. Are video lectures as effective as in-person lectures?

Studies have shown that video lectures can be just as effective as in-person lectures, as long as the content is well-structured and delivered in an engaging manner. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences.

4. Can I interact with the lecturer in a video lecture?

It depends on the platform or website hosting the video lecture. Some may offer opportunities for interaction through Q&A sessions or discussion forums, while others may not have this feature.

5. Are video lectures free?

It depends on the source. Some video lectures may be available for free on certain platforms, while others may require a paid subscription or purchase. University lectures may also be restricted to students enrolled in the course.