At a crossroad; Civil or Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation revolves around choosing between Civil and Mechanical Engineering, with the main concern being the potential salary and job satisfaction. The advice given is to not choose a major solely based on money and to take time to explore and decide which field aligns with one's interests and strengths. It is also mentioned that GPA does not necessarily determine job success, and that one should consider specific subfields in each discipline for potential salary differences.
AngeloG
Well, I'm going to a big University this upcoming fall. I'm at a crossroads on what and where I want to go in terms of Engineering. I'm planning to shoot for my masters.

Civil vs Mechanical.

I'm a bit sad that Civil Engineers get paid crap and it takes so long to get paid well (not sure?) but it seems fulfilling and that I can get a job anywhere. Mechanical Engineers get paid pretty well, like 5,000 - 10,000 more than civil engineers. However, I am unsure how long it takes to get paid very well.

Both seem incredibly fun to do and fulfilling, however, pay raise is what I'm aiming for and how fast I can get it. Do Mechanical Engineers get paid well very quick or does it take years before you get paid well. Same for Civil Engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are a freshman, you have some time. Pick the first one that you think you would like and get into the classes. You will spend your first two years taking pretty much the same pre-req classes. Get a feel for both of them while you are there and if you want to make a change then do so. You do have time.

Fred's right. If you get into engineering at a big school, you and every other candidate are going to be the same track the freshman year, taking the same courses, and you probably won't be asked to declare a preference until at least your Sophomore year at the earliest, probably Junior year. While you're working through that, you'll learn what courses you enjoy and do well in, and that should play heavily into your choice of a major. You don't want to take a high-paying job that you hate - it will grind you into the ground. Been there.

is this true? do you guyz in states pick your major after 2 years and that too yourself? man, its sooooooo kewl

anyways my choice is mechanical

Pay reflects your ability to work, not your major. Dont expect to get paid a lot if your GPA is low.

ank_gl,

kewl...:rolleyes:

Well, don't expect to get a great job right out of college if you're GPA is low, but if your work is good and you're reliable, good pay will follow. There are some really well-paid professionals whose academic performances did not reflect their drive or their ability to deliver quality work. Your GPA is a reflection of your ability to absorb and regurgitate the course materials to the satisfaction of your teachers. It is not by any means a measure of your ability to solve problems unique to your future employment. School gives you basic tools. How you build on them after school is up to you.

AngeloG said:
I'm a bit sad that Civil Engineers get paid crap and it takes so long to get paid well (not sure?)

Luckily, that's not the case in my country.

you have time. I switched from civil to mechanical after two years and things went smoothly. you have to see for yourself what is a better fit. don't choose your major because the average pay of one is slightly higher than another

cyrusabdollahi said:
ank_gl,

kewl...:rolleyes:

what:confused::confused::confused:

Yeah... Stop choosing majors based on money.

Civil engineering can provide as much satisfaction as any of the other engineering disciplines.

Always factor money and future job market into any decision. Also, a lot of the statistics comparing fields of engineering are mean values. You need to look in depth at what specific subfields pay. A civil engineer specializing in structural or working as a project manager salary will be drastically different than one working as a draftsman.

1. What is the difference between Civil and Mechanical Engineering?

Civil engineering involves the design and construction of structures and systems that are essential to the functioning of modern society, such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, including machines and engines. While both fields involve problem-solving and use of scientific principles, they have distinct areas of focus.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both Civil and Mechanical Engineering have good job prospects, as they are essential to many industries. However, the demand for civil engineers is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations, due to a need for infrastructure development and maintenance. Mechanical engineering is also projected to have steady job growth, particularly in fields such as manufacturing and renewable energy.

3. What skills are needed for each field?

Civil engineers need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a good understanding of mathematics and physics. They also need to have good communication and teamwork skills, as they often work with other professionals on large-scale projects. Mechanical engineers also need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a good understanding of mathematics and physics. They also need to be creative and have good technical and computer skills.

4. Is it possible to switch between Civil and Mechanical Engineering?

While it is possible to switch between the two fields, it may require additional education and training. Many of the core concepts in civil and mechanical engineering are similar, but there are also significant differences in the types of projects and skills required. It is important to carefully research and consider the specific requirements for each field before making a decision to switch.

5. Which field offers better opportunities for further education?

Both fields offer opportunities for further education, such as graduate programs and specialized certifications. Civil engineering may have more options for advanced degrees, as there are many subfields within the discipline, such as structural, environmental, and transportation engineering. However, mechanical engineering also offers opportunities for specialization, such as in aerospace or biomedical engineering.