MECalculating E°cell for IO3-(aq) + Fe2+(aq) --> Fe3+(aq) + I2(s)

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of standard cell potential, E°cell, for a galvanic cell using tabulated standard reduction potentials. The reaction being considered is IO3-(aq) + Fe2+(aq) --> Fe3+(aq) + I2(s). The first participant has easily found the E° value for the half reaction Fe3+ (aq) ---> Fe2+(aq) to be +0.77 V. However, they are struggling to find the E° value for the second half reaction, IO3-(aq) ---> I2(s), which they have balanced to 12 H + 2IO3 + 5e- ---> I2 + 6H2O. The second participant
salman213
1. Using tabulated standard reduction potentials from your text, calculate the standard cell potential, E°cell (always positive for a galvanic cell), based on the following (unbalanced) reaction:

IO3-(aq) + Fe2+(aq) --> Fe3+(aq) + I2(s)

well you see i made the half reactions

Fe3+ (aq) ---> Fe2+(aq) EØ was easily found +0.77 V

IO3-(aq) ---> I2(s)

balanced the 2nd one to

12 H + 2IO3 + 5e- ---> I2 + 6H2O
E CELL = ??

I CANT FIND THIS REACTION'S ECELL IN MY TEXT BOOK BUT SOMEHOW I FOUND IT ON THIS WEBSITE TO BE EØ = +1.19V, HOW DID THEY GET THIS VALUE! PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
any idea anyone??

ok, first let's clear up any confusion

is it ...

[tex]IO_{3}^{-}(aq)\rightarrow I_{2}(s)[/tex]

all they simply did was, balance out the equation with (first) H2O on the product side, then H+ on the reactant side

i do not have my Chemistry book with me atm, so i cannot give you an in-depth explanation.

1. What is E°cell?

E°cell is the standard cell potential, which is a measure of the maximum amount of energy that can be obtained from a redox reaction under standard conditions.

2. How is E°cell calculated?

E°cell can be calculated using the standard reduction potentials (E°red) of the half-reactions involved in the redox reaction. The equation for calculating E°cell is E°cell = E°red(cathode) - E°red(anode).

3. What is the half-reaction for IO3-(aq) in this redox reaction?

The half-reaction for IO3-(aq) is: IO3-(aq) + 6H+(aq) + 6e- --> I2(s) + 3H2O(l).

4. How do you determine the standard reduction potential for Fe2+(aq) and Fe3+(aq)?

The standard reduction potential for Fe2+(aq) can be found in a standard reduction potential table. To determine the standard reduction potential for Fe3+(aq), you can use the Nernst equation and substitute the known values for the concentration of Fe2+(aq) and Fe3+(aq) in the reaction.

5. Is this redox reaction spontaneous?

To determine if a redox reaction is spontaneous, you can compare the calculated E°cell value to the standard cell potential value (E°cell = 0). If E°cell is greater than 0, the reaction is spontaneous. If E°cell is less than 0, the reaction is non-spontaneous.