How Does Collision Affect Spring Compression and Motion?

In summary, a block of mass M on a frictionless table is attached to a relaxed spring with spring constant k. A second block of mass 2M and initial speed v0 collides with the first block and sticks to it. The speed of the blocks after impact is 2/3 of v0, the maximum distance the spring is compressed is given by sqrt((m*(2/3*v0)^2)/k), and the period of the simple harmonic motion is T = 2*pi*sqrt(m/k). Max compression is assumed to be the amplitude since there is no mention of damping.
bphysics

Homework Statement

A block of mass M is resting on a horizontal, frictionless table and is attached as shown above to a relaxed spring of spring constant k. A second block of mass 2 M and initial speed v0 collides with and sticks to the first block.

Develop expressions for the following quantities in terms of M, K, and v0.

a) v, the speed of the blocks after impact

b) x, the max distance the spring is compressed

c) T, the period of the subsequent simple harmonic motion

Homework Equations

- M1V1 + M2V2 = (M1 + M2)(Vf)

- (1/2)(k)(x^2)

- F = -kx

- (1/2)(m)(v^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

M1V1 + M2V2 = (M1 + M2)(Vf)

(2M)(V0) + (M)(0) = (2M + M)(x)

(2M)(V0) = (3M)(Vf)

Vf = (2/3)(V0)

b)

x = max distance spring is compressed

spring constant = k

PE of spring = (1/2)(k)(x^2)

Max distance = PE at MAX, KE = 0

Logic process: We know that v = Vf is solved above, set PE = KE, since complete transfer occurs

(1/2)(m)(v^2) = (1/2)(k)(x^2)

(m)((2/3)(V0))^2 = (k)(x^2)

sqrt(((m)((2/3)(V0))^2) / k) = x

c)

No clue, unknown how to solve this (help?)

Physics news on Phys.org
T = 2*pi*sqrt(m/k) for SHM.

Shooting star said:
T = 2*pi*sqrt(m/k) for SHM.

I'm sorry -- is the rest of my work correct for parts A and B?

I "assumed" knowng myself that I would be wrong up there somewhere -- I guess not this time :)

The rest of your solution is quite correct. Good work.

Can I assume that since there is nothing acting to dampen the SHM that the X found in part b.) for max compression is also the amplitude?

bphysics said:
Logic process: We know that v = Vf is solved above, set PE = KE, since complete transfer occurs

(1/2)(m)(v^2) = (1/2)(k)(x^2)

(m)((2/3)(V0))^2 = (k)(x^2)

sqrt(((m)((2/3)(V0))^2) / k) = x

I noticed an error here today. The 2nd eqn should be (3m)((2/3)(V0))^2 = (k)(x^2). The x will change.

Swedishfish said:
Can I assume that since there is nothing acting to dampen the SHM that the X found in part b.) for max compression is also the amplitude?

No. There is no mention of damping in the problem, and we'll assume that the motion is undamped, and max compression is also the amplitude.

1. What is a spring with collisions?

A spring with collisions is a physical system that involves a spring attached to an object that is free to move and collide with other objects. When the spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy that can be released upon collision with another object.

2. How does a spring with collisions work?

A spring with collisions works by transferring energy from the potential energy stored in the spring to kinetic energy upon collision with another object. This results in the spring oscillating back and forth until all of the energy is dissipated.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a spring with collisions?

The behavior of a spring with collisions can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the surface properties of the objects involved in the collision.

4. What are some real-life examples of springs with collisions?

Some real-life examples of springs with collisions include doorstops, pogo sticks, and car suspension systems. These all involve a spring attached to an object that can collide with other objects, causing the spring to compress or stretch.

5. What are the applications of studying springs with collisions?

Studying springs with collisions has various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It can help in understanding the behavior of mechanical systems and designing structures that can withstand collisions, such as car bumpers and shock absorbers.