Projectile motion with air resistance and ball of mass

In summary, the ball takes longer to fall from its maximum height back to the height from which it was thrown due to the drag force working in the opposite direction of gravity during the fall, resulting in a slower downward acceleration. This causes the fall to take longer than the upward journey, during which the drag force works in the same direction as gravity, resulting in a faster deceleration and shorter time to reach the maximum height. The times cannot be equal because that is not an answer choice provided.
rfg

Homework Statement

A ball of mass "m" is thrown vertically upward with a velocity of "vi." It experiences a force of air resistance given by F=-kv, where "k" is a positive constant. The positive direction for all vector quantities is upward. Does it take longer for the ball to rise to its maximum height or to fall from its maximum hieght back to the height from which it was thrown.

Homework Equations

I calculated the velocity as a function of time as (mg/k-vi)e^(-kt/m) = mg/k + v

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the projectile would take longer to fall to its initial position, because as it rises, the force of air friction and gravity work against the velocity. While falling, only air friction opposes the velocity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rfg said:

Homework Statement

A ball of mass "m" is thrown vertically upward with a force of "vi." It experiences a force of air resistance given by F=-kv, where "k" is a positive constant. The positive direction for all vector quantities is upward. Does it take longer for the ball to rise to its maximum height or to fall from its maximum hieght back to the height from which it was thrown.

Homework Equations

I calculated the velocity as a function of time as (mg/k-vi)e^(-kt/m) = mg/k + v

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the projectile would take longer to fall to its initial position, because as it rises, the force of air friction and gravity work against the velocity. While falling, only air friction opposes the velocity.

For this question you have to think about the constant deceleration, the air resistance. Would that effect the both the up and down directions. Then consisder gravity as a deacceleration on the way up, but is it not a acceleration on the way down.

Try using the equation of [tex]V_{final}[/tex]= [tex]V_{initial} + at[/tex]
rearrange for t, then you should see an obvious result. (initial velocity is Vi on the way up, and obviously 0 on the way down)

I apologize if I seem incompetent, but I don't entirely follow. I understand that the drag force will cause the magnitude of the acceleration to decrease throughout the motion. The initial acceleration will have a magnitude of g+kvi/m. As velocity diminishes, this value will reach g when v=0 (at the top of the trajectory). During the fall, acceleration still has a magnitude of g+kv/m, however velocity is now negative, thus as velocity increases, acceleration decreases. But why doesn't gravity work as an acceleration during the fall? Isn't it working in the same direction of the velocity?

rfg said:
I apologize if I seem incompetent, but I don't entirely follow. I understand that the drag force will cause the magnitude of the acceleration to decrease throughout the motion. The initial acceleration will have a magnitude of g+kvi/m. As velocity diminishes, this value will reach g when v=0 (at the top of the trajectory). During the fall, acceleration still has a magnitude of g+kv/m, however velocity is now negative, thus as velocity increases, acceleration decreases. But why doesn't gravity work as an acceleration during the fall? Isn't it working in the same direction of the velocity?
You are pretty much correct in your thinking, except that during the downward fall, the acceleration is g -kv/m downward, (gravity acts down , the air resistance acts up). During the upward journey, the acceleration is g +kv/m downward, since both gravity and the air resistance forces act dowm. Bottom line is that downward journey takes longer, as you had initially noted.

Maybe I'm way off, but shouldn't the times be even?
Wouldn't the initial force imparted upon the ball change things?

On the way up, you have your force being counter-acted by gravity and air resistance.

On the way down, you have just gravity vs. air resistance.

This is just my logic here.

sephirothrr said:
Maybe I'm way off, but shouldn't the times be even?
Wouldn't the initial force imparted upon the ball change things?

On the way up, you have your force being counter-acted by gravity and air resistance.

On the way down, you have just gravity vs. air resistance.

This is just my logic here.
There is an apparent error in the problem statement, as i see it; the ball has an initial velocity vi, not an initial force vi. For sure, there must be an initial force imparted to the ball by the motion of the thrower's hand, but the start point of this problem is at the point of release, wher only gravity and air resistance acts in both directions, no other forces act during the upward or downward flight. The ball decelerates non uniformly rapidly (greater than g) during the upward path, then accelerates downward non uniformly at less than g (possibly reaching a = 0 if it reaches terminal velocity) during the downward journey.

PhanthomJay said:
There is an apparent error in the problem statement, as i see it; the ball has an initial velocity vi, not an initial force vi.

But the problem says:

A ball of mass "m" is thrown vertically upward with a force of "vi.

It is a force here.

I believe I have the problem figured out, thank you for the help all those who posted.

Btw, vi is a initial velocity, not a force. This wans a typo, sorry.

My conclusion is that the object does indeed take longer to fall. The times cannot be equal because that is not an answer choice. My reasoning is as follows:

While on the rise, the drag force works in the same direction as gravity, thus the resulting deceleration of the object is greater than the ideal 9.8m/s/s. Thus, the velocity diminishes faster and reaches zero (the top of the trajectory) faster than it would without friction. While falling the drag acts opposite gravity, thus the downward acceleration is less than the ideal 9.8m/s/s. Hence, the fall takes longer than it would without friction.

1. What is projectile motion with air resistance?

Projectile motion with air resistance refers to the movement of an object through the air, where the force of air resistance acts against the object's motion. This causes the object to follow a curved path rather than a straight line.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance affects projectile motion by slowing down the object as it moves through the air. This is due to the force of air resistance acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion. As a result, the object's trajectory will be shorter and it will take longer to reach its target.

3. How does the mass of the object affect projectile motion with air resistance?

The mass of the object does not have a significant effect on projectile motion with air resistance. However, objects with greater mass will experience slightly more air resistance compared to lighter objects, which may result in a slightly shorter trajectory.

4. What factors influence the amount of air resistance an object experiences during projectile motion?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences during projectile motion is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the density of the air, and the velocity of the object. Objects with larger surface areas, denser air, and higher velocities will experience greater air resistance.

5. How can the effects of air resistance on projectile motion be minimized?

The effects of air resistance on projectile motion can be minimized by reducing the surface area of the object, increasing its mass, and increasing its velocity. Additionally, objects with streamlined shapes that minimize air resistance will experience less deviation from their intended trajectory.