Cooling rate of an asteroid.

In summary, an asteroid with an iron core covered by a thin silicate mantle has a constant internal temperature of 600K and a thermal energy of 3*k*Ti per atom. The surface temperature of the asteroid is Ts = 200K and it has a cooling rate of 1 K / 1 million years.
gotbrackets?
Consider an asteroid with an iron core (pc = 8000kg/m^3) covered by a thin silicate mantle (pm = 3400kg/m^3) with a thickness of 20% of the radius R of the asteroid. Assume that the internal temperature Ti = 600K is constant throughout the core. The thermal energy of the core is 3*k*Ti per atom(where k is Boltzmann's constant) and assume that the thermal conductivity of the silicate mantle is about kc = 2 W/ (m*K). Ignore the heat capacity of the mantle. If the surface of the asteroid has a temperature of Ts = 200K find the value of R such that the asteroid has a cooling rate of 1 K / 1 million years.

I really don't know where to start with this question. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
i get the exactly same question...

i don't know how to solve it either...

have you already got the answer yet?
if you have, could you give me some hint?
please email me jaywang19880830@gmail.com

gotbrackets? said:
Consider an asteroid with an iron core (pc = 8000kg/m^3) covered by a thin silicate mantle (pm = 3400kg/m^3) with a thickness of 20% of the radius R of the asteroid. Assume that the internal temperature Ti = 600K is constant throughout the core. The thermal energy of the core is 3*k*Ti per atom(where k is Boltzmann's constant) and assume that the thermal conductivity of the silicate mantle is about kc = 2 W/ (m*K). Ignore the heat capacity of the mantle. If the surface of the asteroid has a temperature of Ts = 200K find the value of R such that the asteroid has a cooling rate of 1 K / 1 million years.

I really don't know where to start with this question. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, a good start would be to rewrite this homework question as per the homework posting guidelines.

What is the cooling rate of an asteroid?

The cooling rate of an asteroid refers to how quickly it cools down after being heated up by the sun or other sources of heat in space.

What factors affect the cooling rate of an asteroid?

The cooling rate of an asteroid is dependent on several factors such as its size, composition, distance from the sun, and the presence of any insulating materials on its surface.

How is the cooling rate of an asteroid measured?

The cooling rate of an asteroid can be measured by observing its surface temperature over time using thermal imaging or infrared spectroscopy.

Why is understanding the cooling rate of an asteroid important?

Understanding the cooling rate of an asteroid is important for studying the formation and evolution of asteroids, as well as predicting their behavior and potential impact on Earth.

Can the cooling rate of an asteroid be manipulated?

The cooling rate of an asteroid can be influenced by altering its exposure to heat sources or by introducing insulating materials on its surface. However, this is currently not possible with our current technology and understanding of asteroids.