Good books with numerical answers in the back

In summary, the speaker is looking for books with decent pedagogy and answers to check their work, particularly in the subject of physics. They mention using Mary Boas' math methods book, but it does not have enough answers. They are also open to suggestions for books on any topic, not just physics, that offer answers without solutions. They also mention looking for a combination of a textbook for pedagogy and a problem book like Schaum's outline. They suggest Squires, Problems in Quantum Mechanics: With Solutions and a Dover book as good options for QM problem books.
ice109
So I'm trying to teach myself physics and I've been doing problems in books. I started with griffiths qm but it has no answers. I became incredibly frustrated because there was no way to check if I was doing the work correctly, and my math skills weren't good. Now I'm working through Mary Boas' math methods book and it's wonderful because it asks you calculate things and provides answers to some problems, but not all and therefore not enough. Again, this is so I can check if I have the prescription down right.

So what are some other books like this? with at least decent pedagogy and answers that don't show me how to do the problem but do offer a way to check that I've done it right. In any subject area... it would be nice if landau's books were like this...

Again I would suggestions for books with answers but not solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your current mathematics and physics background? What area of physics interests you for self-study?

It sounds like the optimal solution would be to use a textbook for the pedagogy and something like a Schaum's outline for the problems.

Squires, Problems in Quantum Mechanics: With Solutions is pretty good. There's also a Dover book that's not quite as good (a little old fashioned in choice of problem topics, and there's no introductory text), but is cheap.

Here's a nice overview of QM problem books:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Z1TP4YLBGZ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

i would like suggestions for books on any topics. not just physics and not just qm

1. What are "good books with numerical answers in the back"?

"Good books with numerical answers in the back" refer to textbooks or study guides that provide practice problems or exercises with answers located at the end of the book. These books are helpful for students who want to check their work and practice solving problems with immediate feedback.

2. How can I find these types of books?

You can find "good books with numerical answers in the back" by searching for specific keywords such as "practice problems with answers" or "study guides with solutions" on online bookstores or educational websites. You can also ask your teachers or professors for recommendations.

3. What subjects or topics are these books available for?

These books are available for a wide range of subjects, including math, science, engineering, economics, and more. They typically cover topics from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus and beyond.

4. Are there any benefits to using these books?

Yes, there are several benefits to using "good books with numerical answers in the back." These books offer additional practice and reinforcement of concepts learned in class, immediate feedback on problem-solving skills, and the opportunity to identify and correct mistakes. They can also be helpful for test preparation and self-study.

5. Are these books suitable for all levels of students?

Yes, these books are suitable for students of all levels, from elementary school to college and beyond. They can be used by students who are struggling with a particular topic or by those who want to challenge themselves with more advanced problems.