Need help with Comsol (Heat Transfer Module)

In summary, the pressure of the nitrogen gas in the cylinder can impact the temperature distribution in the system, and using a state equation that considers the pressure-temperature relationship may improve the accuracy of your model.
olek1473
Hi!

I have this problem. I have a cylinder filled with a hot Nitrogen gas
(340 K) under 3000 psi pressure. The cylinder is exposed to the air
and I need to find a temperature distribution in this system as a function of
time. I am using Heat Transfer model -> Non-Isothermal Flow. The
solution does not converge. Well, it kind of does but it's somehow the pressure dependent. If the gas is at pressure = 1 Atm or slightly higher everything is fine but when I set P_nitrogen > 100psi (and in fact I need 3000 psi!) comsol stops working. How come it cares what pressure I have?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure can affect the temperature distribution in your system because changes in pressure can cause changes in temperature. This is due to Boyle's law—when pressure increases, temperature also increases and vice versa. The higher pressure of the nitrogen gas in your system will cause the temperature to increase faster than if the pressure were lower. You may want to consider using a state equation for your problem that takes into account the thermodynamic properties of the gas and its pressure-temperature relationship. This will help your model better capture the behavior of your system.

Hello! It sounds like you are experiencing difficulties with your Comsol simulation for heat transfer in a cylinder filled with hot nitrogen gas under high pressure. It is not uncommon for simulations to have convergence issues, especially when dealing with non-isothermal flows and high pressures. It's possible that the pressure dependence you are seeing could be due to a non-linear relationship between the pressure and temperature in your system. I would recommend checking your boundary conditions and making sure they are accurately representing the physical conditions of your system. Additionally, you may need to adjust your mesh size and time steps to ensure a more accurate and stable solution. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to seek assistance from Comsol's technical support team or consult with a heat transfer expert. Good luck with your simulation!

1. What is Comsol and what is the Heat Transfer Module?

Comsol is a software platform used for simulation and modeling in various fields including engineering, physics, and chemistry. The Heat Transfer Module is an extension of Comsol that specializes in simulating and analyzing heat transfer phenomena.

2. How can Comsol's Heat Transfer Module help me?

The Heat Transfer Module can help you simulate, analyze, and optimize heat transfer processes in a variety of systems and applications. This can aid in the design and development of more efficient and effective products and processes.

3. What types of heat transfer phenomena can be simulated with Comsol's Heat Transfer Module?

The Heat Transfer Module can simulate various heat transfer modes, including conduction, convection, and radiation. It can also handle complex phenomena such as phase change, heat transfer in porous media, and thermal stress.

4. Do I need any prior experience to use Comsol's Heat Transfer Module?

While prior experience with simulation software can be helpful, Comsol's user-friendly interface and extensive documentation make it accessible to users with varying levels of experience. There are also online tutorials and resources available to help you get started.

5. Can Comsol's Heat Transfer Module be used for both 2D and 3D simulations?

Yes, the Heat Transfer Module supports both 2D and 3D simulations. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of heat transfer phenomena in various systems and geometries.