Exploring the Possibility of Knotted Closed Strings in Higher Dimensions

• Thread starter Alwi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, I do not see - offhand - any reason why a closed string cannot be knotted. Think of a propagating trefoil knot for example.
Alwi
Hi all ! I am curious about the possibility of knotted strings. If we can accept the propagation of closed loop strings, then shouldn't we consider the possibility of knotted, closed loop strings ?

I do not see - offhand - any reason why a closed string cannot be knotted. Think of a propagating trefoil knot for example.

Of course - I would expect the mathematics to be much more involved. For a knotted closed string, the world-sheet is much more than a mere Riemann surface. It is now a general Algebraic Surface that may possesses self-intersections and other topological phenomena.

In this case - I would expect the knottedness of the string to have implications on the compact extra-dimensions.

I would like to hear some comments and ideas regarding this matter.

Best Regards
Alwi

Physics news on Phys.org
The knotting of a string is topologically non-trivial only in 3 dimensions. For string theory you need a whole lot more dimensions, and so every string would be topologically equivalent to the unkot.

On the other hand, you could fool around a bit with compactified dimensions which leads to winding string around dimensions and so.

Furthermore, the concept of knotting quickly leads to concepts such as category theory and topological quantum field theory in particular. These are abstract mathematical structures and serve as a framework for string theory. So to consider "knotted strings" is in fact equivalent to studying these framework in relation to string theory.

Dear xepma,

No I disagree with your statement that every string will be topologically equivalent to the unknot. Knottedness can take place totally in the large 3+1 dimensions. The compact extra dimensions need not unravel that knottedness. It all depends on how we do our compactification and the kinds of homotopy we want to consider. You can easily construct a knot in S^3 x G where G is a compact space. Just do your knotting in S^3 and trivially multiply by G. Can you find a homotopy in S^3 x G that unravels this knot ? Yes and no. If you restrict yourself to homotopies entirely done in S^3 - then of course you cannot unravel the knot.

I think the issue that I want to raise here - to be very precise - is whether we should :

1) Include a knot topological term in the Polyakov action (for Bosonic strings) and

2) Include self-intersecting Algebraic Surfaces of knot world-sheets -- when performing a sum-over-surfaces a-la Polyakov's path integral approach.

Best Regards
Alwi

Dear Xepma,

Here is also another reason why I think knotted strings ought to be considered. Its not clear to me that one can always find a homotopy involving the compact extra dimension - that will unknot the knotted string. What makes you think that there will be no obstructions ? Maybe the compact extra dimensions possesses holes (as required for the number of fermion generations) etc which makes some types of homotopy impossible.

So you see - knotted strings are not necessarily trivial by virtue of the extra dimensions.

Best Regards
Alwi

1. Can strings be knotted?

Yes, strings can be knotted. Knotting is the process of twisting or intertwining one or more strings to create a secure and permanent connection.

2. How do you tie a knot in a string?

The process of tying a knot in a string involves twisting or wrapping the string around itself or another object, and pulling it tight to create a secure connection. There are many different types of knots, each with its own specific method of tying.

3. What is the purpose of knotting strings?

Knotting strings can serve a variety of purposes, including securing objects together, creating decorative designs, and joining two pieces of string to make a longer string. Knotting can also be used in various crafts, such as knitting and macrame.

4. Can all types of strings be knotted?

Yes, almost all types of strings can be knotted. However, some materials, such as very thin or slippery strings, may be more difficult to knot and may require special techniques.

5. Are there any benefits to knotting strings?

Yes, there are several benefits to knotting strings. Knotting can create a strong and secure connection, prevent tangling, and add decorative elements to crafts and designs. Knotting can also be a fun and creative way to use and repurpose strings.