Thermodynamics Question (Centrifugal Compressor)

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the inlet and outlet blade angles, mass flow rate, and other dimensions of a rotor. The equations needed to solve the problem include the mass flow rate equation, Bernoulli's equation, and the equation of state. Using these equations, the velocity and pressure at the inlet and outlet can be calculated to find the Mach number.
Noisia
Hi there guys,

Sorryto make my first post on here a request, but i am a little puzzled at the moment by this latest question I have been set! My lecture notes do not seem to cover this in any detail at all, and resources on the internet are either avoiding me or i am just plain blind!

1. Inlet blade angle : -55 degrees, Outlet blade angle : 0 degrees, mass flow rate of air : 4.32 kg/s, rotor inlet radius : 45mm, rotor radius at tip : 0.14m, outlet dimensions are r2 : 0.2m and h2 : 22mm, rotor has 21 blades, rotation speed is 15000rpm. Air enters compressor at temperature of 300K and pressure of 1.0atm.

Starting with a guessed value for c1, and using an iterative process, find Ma1 and the inlet velocity triangle satisfying the prescribed mass flow rate

2. As for equations I am not even sure what i should be using. These are what i have so far:

c = u + v

M1 = V1 / ([gamma]*R*T)^1/2

Then using v = V(flow rate) / A

I think that there is a fundamental error in my working so far, whether the equations are totally in the wrong direction i don't know! If you guys could just set me in the right direction it would be much appreciated as this has been doing my head in for a while now!

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you started with are on the right track, but you need to use a few more equations to solve this problem. As you know, the mass flow rate is equal to the product of density, velocity, and area. You can use this equation to calculate the velocity at the inlet and outlet of the compressor. Additionally, you need to use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the pressure at the inlet and outlet. Finally, you need to use the equation of state to calculate the temperature at the inlet and outlet of the compressor. Once you have all of these values, you can use the velocity triangles to calculate the Mach number. Hope this helps!

1. What is a centrifugal compressor?

A centrifugal compressor is a type of dynamic compressor that uses rotating impellers to compress gas or air. It works by increasing the velocity of the gas or air through the impeller, which then converts the kinetic energy into pressure.

2. How does a centrifugal compressor work?

A centrifugal compressor works by drawing in gas or air through the inlet and then accelerating it through the impeller. The impeller blades rotate at high speeds, increasing the velocity of the gas or air. As the gas or air exits the impeller, it is slowed down by a diffuser, which converts the velocity into pressure. This pressurized gas or air is then discharged through the outlet.

3. What are the advantages of using a centrifugal compressor?

Centrifugal compressors have several advantages over other types of compressors. They have a simple design, are compact, and have few moving parts, making them easy to maintain. They also have a high flow rate and can handle a wide range of gas or air volumes, making them suitable for various applications.

4. What are the key components of a centrifugal compressor?

The key components of a centrifugal compressor include the inlet, impeller, diffuser, and discharge. The inlet is responsible for drawing in the gas or air, while the impeller accelerates the gas or air. The diffuser converts the velocity into pressure, and the discharge releases the pressurized gas or air.

5. How does thermodynamics play a role in centrifugal compressor performance?

Thermodynamics plays a significant role in the performance of a centrifugal compressor. It governs the energy transfer and conversion processes within the compressor, which ultimately affect its efficiency and output. By understanding thermodynamics, engineers can optimize the design and operation of centrifugal compressors for maximum performance.