Find mass of mars given period of moon orbit and radius of orbit

In summary, to find the mass of Mars, we can use the equation Fmars on moon= (G*m1*m2)/(r2) and solve for m1. Using the given data of the moon's orbit period and radius, we can also use the equations v= \sqrt{}Gm/r and v=\omega*r to solve for m1. The calculated mass of Mars is 6.5*10^23 kg.
buttermellow

Homework Statement

Given data: A moon of Mars orbits with a period of 459 minutes. The radius of the moon's orbit is 9.4x10^6 m. What is the mass of mars?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only relevant equation I could find was Fmars on moon= (G*m1*m2)/(r2)

I have the radius, but to solve I would need the mass of the moon and the gravitational force. Could I use F=mv2/r ? Or how about v= [tex]\sqrt{}GM/r[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, I actually figured it out myself.

v= [tex]\sqrt{}Gm/r[/tex] and v=[tex]\omega[/tex]*r

so the mass of Mars is 6.5*10^23 kg!

I would approach this problem by first acknowledging that the given data is not sufficient to directly calculate the mass of Mars. We would need additional information such as the mass of the moon and the gravitational force between the moon and Mars. However, we can make some assumptions and use some equations to estimate the mass of Mars.

Firstly, we can assume that the moon's orbit is circular, which means that the centripetal force acting on the moon is equal to the gravitational force between the moon and Mars. This can be represented by the equation F=mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the moon, v is the velocity of the moon, and r is the radius of the moon's orbit.

We can also use the equation for the period of an orbit, T=2π√(r^3/GM), where T is the period, r is the radius of the orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the planet.

By substituting the given values into these equations, we can create a system of equations and solve for the mass of Mars. However, since we do not have the mass of the moon, we can make another assumption and use the mass ratio between the moon and Mars. This can be calculated by using the equation m2/m1= r2/r1, where m2 and r2 represent the mass and radius of the moon, and m1 and r1 represent the mass and radius of Mars.

By substituting this ratio into our system of equations, we can solve for the mass of Mars. However, it is important to note that this will only give us an estimate and the actual mass of Mars may differ slightly from this calculated value. Additionally, this calculation assumes that the moon's orbit is not affected by any other gravitational forces, which may not be entirely accurate.

In conclusion, while we can use some equations and assumptions to estimate the mass of Mars, we would need more information to accurately calculate it. This highlights the importance of having complete and accurate data in scientific research.

1. What is the formula for finding the mass of Mars given the period of the moon's orbit and the radius of the orbit?

The formula for finding the mass of Mars is: M = 4π²r³ / G(T/2π)², where M is the mass of Mars, r is the radius of the orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and T is the period of the moon's orbit.

2. How do we determine the period of the moon's orbit around Mars?

The period of the moon's orbit around Mars can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the moon to complete one full orbit around Mars. This can be done using telescopes and other astronomical instruments.

3. What is the radius of Mars' orbit around the sun?

The average radius of Mars' orbit around the sun is approximately 227.9 million kilometers (141.6 million miles).

4. How does the mass of Mars affect the moon's orbit?

The mass of Mars directly affects the moon's orbit through the force of gravity. The greater the mass of Mars, the stronger its gravitational pull on the moon, resulting in a shorter period of orbit and a smaller radius of orbit.

5. Can the mass of Mars be calculated using other factors besides the moon's orbit and radius?

Yes, the mass of Mars can also be calculated using other factors such as the orbital period and distance of other celestial bodies around Mars, as well as the gravitational interactions between Mars and other planets in our solar system.