How Do Particles with Negative Energy Contribute to Hawking Radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative energy and its role in hawking radiation near a black hole. It also touches on the idea of photons and their interactions, as well as the shedding of energy through radiation. Ultimately, it is explained that while the idea of negative energy may seem confusing, it is a crucial aspect in understanding the process of hawking radiation near a black hole.
jnorman
can someone please try to explain to me how a particle can have negative energy - specifically how one particle from spontaneous particle pair production near a BH EH can (must) have negative energy as it falls into the BH resulting in hawking radiation?

i am now trying to accept that everything i thought i knew is wrong. i was taught that a photon has no position between the time it is emitted and the time it is absorbed - apparently that is wrong, since people are now doing photon-photon collision testing. i was also taught that a photon cannot be accelerated - apparently that is wrong too (four-work?), though i don't get it. or how half of a particle pair can escape from near the EH of a BH when the other doesnt, when they are not created with anything near C velocity which they would have to have to escape anywhere near the EH, and they only exist for extremely short period of time to begin with...

Physics news on Phys.org
At tree level photons don't interact. But at one loop they can interact through virtual electrons.

jnorman said:
can someone please try to explain to me how a particle can have negative energy - specifically how one particle from spontaneous particle pair production near a BH EH can (must) have negative energy as it falls into the BH resulting in hawking radiation?
The negative is "as measured at infinity" where the other particle escapes, where by definition spacetime is "asymptotically flat" and simply put the zero of energy has been shifted by the gravitational potential.

it is a little misleading to think of a particle falling into the BH with negative energy. That is fine from the point of view of calculations (where you just follow your nose through the math) but if you want a more "physically appealing" description, you should really think in terms of the OBJECTS in the problem:

what is really happening is that a BH is shedding energy through radiation of particles. As it does this, it loses energy (i.e. mass). This sounds totally reasonable, right?

Now the fact that this occurs through a quantum process where the BH imparts energy onto a particle-antiparticle pair, allowing the particle to escape while swallowing the antiparticle (or vice versa) should not trouble you any more than the statement that you cannot measure position and momentum to infinite precision at the same time!

In other words: the swallowed particle is not "real" (it is what you would call a "virtual particle"). And as it has "negative energy" - when the BH swallows it, it LOSES mass, as it should.

Slightly oversimplified, but I hope that helps.

1. What are negative energy particles?

Negative energy particles are hypothetical particles that are predicted by certain theories in physics. They are particles that have negative energy, which is the opposite of the positive energy that we typically encounter in our daily lives. These particles are not yet proven to exist, but they are an important concept in understanding the behavior of the universe.

2. How are negative energy particles different from regular particles?

Negative energy particles differ from regular particles in that they have negative energy. This means that they have a negative mass and would behave differently than regular particles in certain situations. For example, negative energy particles would be attracted to other negative energy particles, while regular particles are typically attracted to positive energy particles.

3. Can negative energy particles be observed or measured?

Currently, there is no way to directly observe or measure negative energy particles. However, scientists are working on experiments and theories that could potentially lead to the detection of these particles. Some theories suggest that negative energy particles could be detected through their gravitational effects on regular matter. Others propose using high-energy collisions or experiments involving quantum mechanics to observe their effects.

4. What is the significance of negative energy particles?

Negative energy particles play an important role in theories of quantum mechanics and the behavior of the universe. They are also a key concept in the study of black holes and the phenomenon of Hawking radiation. Understanding the nature of negative energy particles could lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and potential applications in technology.

5. Could negative energy particles have any practical applications?

While there are currently no practical applications for negative energy particles, the study of these particles could lead to advancements in technologies such as quantum computing and space travel. The potential for harnessing the unique properties of negative energy particles is an area of ongoing research and could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place within it.