Equation of reflecting plane when incoming and reflected rays are known

• Thread starter Entertainment
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Rays
In summary: I will keep that in mind. Thank you for your response!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for a plane that reflects a light ray with given direction and passes through a given point. The steps involved include assigning vectors to the incoming and outgoing rays, determining the point of intersection, using this point and the given vectors to find the equation of the plane, and using the dot product to find the angle between the two rays. A shortcut is also suggested, using the direction vectors to find the normal vector of the reflection plane. The correct solution is verified and a further simplified approach is proposed.
Entertainment

Homework Statement

A light ray with direction (1, 2, -2) passes through the point (-1, -3, 5) and is reflected farther away on a plane. The reflected ray has the direction (3, 0, 4) and passes through the point (4, 1, 5). Determine the equation for the plane which reflects the ray. The vector space is orthonormal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've solved this in a reasonably protracted way, so I'll name the general steps of it. If you can think of a simpler solution or some shortcuts, or if it seems like a decent or even viable approach, I'll be happy to know!

1: Assign v=(1, 2, -2), u=(3, 0, 4) as the two vectors and determine the equations of the incoming and outgoing lines (Lv and Lu) in parameterized form.

2: Determine the point of intersection Ps=(1, 1, 1) between the lines.

3: Use Ps and the two given vectors to determine the equation of the plane which they're in, ([tex]4x-5y-3z+4=0[/tex]) (e.g. by assuming that the relevant determinant is 0 so that the three vectors are linearly dependent). The normal vector of this plane, [tex]\vec{Nv}[/tex]=(4, -5, -3) is then parallel to the sought plane.

4: Note that the dot product u[tex]*[/tex]v = |u||v|[tex]\cos{(\pi - 2 \alpha)} = 1*3 + 2*0 + (-2)*4 = -5 => \cos{\alpha} = \sqrt{2/3}[/tex] (Solutions outside the interval [tex]0 < \alpha <\pi/2[/tex] should be irrelevant, I think. Can anyone verify this step?)

5: Choose two points on the lines Lv and Lu that are equidistant from Ps, say, a distance D away. Two such points exist on each line. Determine their coordinates. Choose one of these points on each line. The point Pm with the arithmetic mean of their coordinates will reside either on the sought plane or on a vector parallel to the normal vector of the sought plane that passes through Ps.

6: Noticing that [tex]\cos{\alpha} = \sqrt{2/3} > \sqrt{1/2} = 1/ \sqrt{2} = \cos{\pi / 4}[/tex], it is realized that [tex]0 < \alpha < \pi / 4[/tex]. Thus, if [tex]|\vec{PsPm}| < D \cdot 1/ \sqrt{2}[/tex], Pm is on the sought plane. If not, choose another pair of points in (5).

7: Use [tex]\vec{PsPm}[/tex], [tex]\vec{Nv}[/tex] and Ps, determine the equation of the sought plane. My result is:

[tex]-\frac{10}{3}x - \frac{34}{15}y - \frac{2}{3}z + \frac{94}{15} = 0[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I haven't found any particular problems with my approach, other than it being somewhat ugly. I suppose I'll recheck my arithmetic.

Physics news on Phys.org
I ran through the arithmetic of my solution again, and realized that I forgot to divide one of the coordinates of one of the points on Pm by two. So, in step (5), I've chosen (2/3, 1/3, 5/3) on Lv and (2/5, 1, 1/5) on Lu, both being a distance of 1 away from the the intersection point Ps of the two lines. This gives Pm = (8/15, 2/3, 14/15). Subsequently, [tex]\vec{PsPm}[/tex] = (8/15 - 1, 2/3 - 1, 14/15 - 1) = (-7/15, -1/3, -1/15).

And so, with the point Ps = (1, 1, 1) and the two vectors [tex]\vec{Nv}[/tex] = (4, -5, -3) and [tex]\vec{PsPm}[/tex] = (-7/15, -1/3, -1/15) in the plane, we get

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}x-1& -7/15 & 4\\
y-1& -1/3 & -5\\
z-1& -1/15 & -3\end{vmatrix} = \frac{1}{3}(2x -5y + 11z -8) = 0[/tex]

Looks better?

For some reason, every problem I've attempted since this one has seemed a lot easier than usual...

Well, you are obviously pretty good at this stuff. You got the correct answer. About the only shortcut I can recommend is that you can find the direction vector of the bisector without finding any points. If d1 is the normalized direction vector heading into the reflection point and d2 is the normalized direction vector heading out, then (d1+(-d2))/2 is a direction vector of the angle bisector, hence a normal vector to the reflection plane. Do you see why? Once you've got the normal and the intersection point you've got the plane. As for the dot product stuff, I don't think there is any constraint on the angle between the incoming and outgoing vectors until you know something about the reflection plane. Once again, well done. I can see why the other problems don't seem so difficult. You have a good intuitive grasp of the concepts.

Wow, I should reply to these things more quickly. Thank you for looking over my work. Also, thank you for providing me with that shortcut. Realizing that sooner would have made things a lot easier, but hopefully I learned something along the way...

Using the fact that the incident ray and reflected ray make equal angles to the Normal to the plane of the reflecting surface, we can compute the normal to that plane with the formula,

Unit Normal vector N, <N> = (-(Unit Incident vector, I) + (Unit Reflected Vector, R))/2
which is,

N = (-(1/3,2/3,-2/3)+(3/5,0,4/5))/2 = 1/15(2,-5,11)

This is the equation of the normal to the plane.

Please comment on whether this is right.

yogeshkm said:
Using the fact that the incident ray and reflected ray make equal angles to the Normal to the plane of the reflecting surface, we can compute the normal to that plane with the formula,

Unit Normal vector N, <N> = (-(Unit Incident vector, I) + (Unit Reflected Vector, R))/2
which is,

N = (-(1/3,2/3,-2/3)+(3/5,0,4/5))/2 = 1/15(2,-5,11)

This is the equation of the normal to the plane.

Please comment on whether this is right.

It's a normal alright. It's not a unit normal.

Hi Dick,
Thanks, yes, it is a normal to the plane and not a unit normal.

1. What is the equation of a reflecting plane?

The equation of a reflecting plane is used to describe the relationship between the incoming and reflected rays of light. It can be written as: (x - xi) / (xr - xi) = (y - yi) / (yr - yi) = (z - zi) / (zr - zi), where (xi, yi, zi) and (xr, yr, zr) are the coordinates of the incoming and reflected rays, respectively.

2. How do you determine the coordinates of the incoming and reflected rays?

The coordinates of the incoming and reflected rays can be determined by measuring their respective angles of incidence and reflection with respect to the reflecting plane. These angles can then be used to calculate the coordinates using trigonometric functions.

3. Can the equation of a reflecting plane be used for any type of reflection?

Yes, the equation of a reflecting plane can be used for any type of reflection, whether it is specular (perfect) or diffuse (irregular). However, the accuracy of the equation may vary depending on the type of reflection and the surface of the reflecting plane.

4. What are the limitations of the equation of a reflecting plane?

The equation of a reflecting plane assumes that the reflecting surface is perfectly smooth and the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. In reality, this is not always the case and factors such as surface roughness and multiple reflections may affect the accuracy of the equation.

5. How is the equation of a reflecting plane used in practical applications?

The equation of a reflecting plane is used in various fields such as optics, physics, and engineering to analyze and predict the behavior of reflected light. It is commonly used in designing and optimizing optical systems, calculating the intensity and direction of reflected light, and determining the positions of objects in space based on their reflections.