Ball coordinates to cartesian coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion surrounding the use of symbols \theta and \phi in different contexts, specifically in converting between Cartesian coordinates and ball and cylinder coordinates. The solution to the given problem involves interchanging the angles \theta and \phi and it is suggested to draw a visual representation to better understand the relationship between the quantities. It is also mentioned that the use of notation can vary and it is important to specify the meaning behind the symbols.
martine
I am struggeling with the following problem:

give the x,y,z coordinates from the following ball points/vectors

1. (r, theta, phi) = (sqrt3, 3/4pi, 3/4pi)

2. (r, theta, phi) = (1, 1/6pi, 1 1/6pi)

the sollutions I found in my reader are as followed:

1. (x, y, z) = (-1/2 sqrt3, 1/2 sqrt3, -sqrt3/sqrt2)

2. (x, y, z) = 1/4 sqrt3, -1/4, 1/2 sqrt3)

can someone explain to me what was actually done here? I understand the conversion from carthesian coordinates to ball and cylinder coordinates but I can't seem to find the sollution for the other way around. Thanks a lot.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
These equations might be of some use...

Muzza said:
These equations might be of some use...

Yep. It seems the angles [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are interchanged though.
It's funny. In my physics books the azimuthal angle is always [tex]\phi[/tex] and in most of my mathematics books it's [tex]\theta[/tex].
Oh well, guess it doesn`t matter as long as you're aware of it.

I would suggest that, instead of plugging this into a set of "conversion equations", you draw the situation (or even build a little model with a box) so that you see how the quantities are related. Once you do this with one problem, the second will be much easier.

Galileo said:
Yep. It seems the angles [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are interchanged though.

It brings this up.

Unfortunately, the convention in which the symbols [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are reversed is frequently used, especially in physics, leading to unnecessary confusion.

:P

That's because notation is not as important as meaning, but we must always specify.

Using astronomy language, I always used [tex]\theta[/tex] for "declination" (angle from vertical axe) and [tex]\phi[/tex] for "Right ascension" (angle from horizontal axe from left to right)

What are ball coordinates and cartesian coordinates?

Ball coordinates and cartesian coordinates are two different systems used to represent points in a three-dimensional space. Ball coordinates use a radial, azimuthal, and polar angle to describe a point, while cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z values.

How do you convert ball coordinates to cartesian coordinates?

To convert from ball coordinates to cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * sin(θ) * cos(ϕ)
y = r * sin(θ) * sin(ϕ)
z = r * cos(θ)
where r is the radial distance, θ is the azimuthal angle, and ϕ is the polar angle.

What is the relationship between ball coordinates and cartesian coordinates?

Ball coordinates and cartesian coordinates are related by the Pythagorean theorem. The radial distance r in ball coordinates is equivalent to the distance from the origin to the point in cartesian coordinates. The azimuthal angle θ and polar angle ϕ can be used to determine the x, y, and z values in cartesian coordinates.

Why are ball coordinates useful?

Ball coordinates are useful in certain applications, such as spherical geometry and physics, where the radial distance and angles are more relevant than the x, y, and z values. They can also be used to simplify calculations in three-dimensional space.

What are some real-life examples of using ball coordinates to cartesian coordinates?

One example is using ball coordinates to describe the position of an object in space, such as a satellite orbiting the Earth. Another example is using ball coordinates to map out points on a globe, where the radial distance represents the distance from the center of the Earth and the angles represent latitude and longitude.