Electric Field due to a charged hallow cylinder/solid cylinder on a point

In summary: I'm sorry, I can't help you with that.In summary, a uniformly charged thin-walled right circular cylindrical shell has a field at a point a distance d from the right side. A solid cylinder with the same dimensions and charge is also charged, uniformly distributed through its volume.
Qbit42

Homework Statement

Consider a uniformy charged thin-walled right circular cylindrical shell having total charge Q, radius R, and height h. Determine the electric field at a point a distance d from the right side of the cylinder (treat the cylinder as a collection of ring charges). Consider now a solid cylinder with the same dimenstions carrying the same charge,uniformly distrubted through its volume (treat the cylinder as a collection of disk charges)

Homework Equations

Ring Electric Field: [tex]\int \frac{kx dq}{(x^{2} + a^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} [/tex]

Disk Electric Field: [tex]\int \frac{kx\pi\sigma 2rdr}{(x^{2} + a^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

The disk equation is derived from the ring equation by treating a disk as a series of rings of infinitesimal radius and integrating using the substition [tex]dq = \pi\sigma 2rdr[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first portion of the problem I started with the Ring Equation and used the equation [tex]dq = \lambda dx[/tex]. This gave me
[tex]k\lambda\int \frac{xdx}{(x^{2} + R^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]
Using the substitution [tex] u = (x^{2} + R^{2}), du = 2xdx [/tex] I have
[tex]\frac{k\lambda}{2}\int \frac{du}{u^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{-k\lambda}{\sqrt{u}}|^{d+h}_{d} = k\lambda(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d^{2} + R^{2}}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{(d+h)^{2} + R^{2}}})[/tex]

I went online to compare my results with others and found someone had asked the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=188011" as myself. My answer seems to follow their line of logic. However I can't get an appropriate answer for the 2nd part of the problem. It seems to me like I'd just take the same approach and just plug [tex] dq = \rho dV =\rho\pi r^{2}dx [/tex] into the Disk equation. However they replaced [tex] dq [/tex] already, and if I go back and plug my [tex] dq [/tex] into the ring equation (like the book did with it's [tex]dq[/tex]) then I just end up with the same equation as above. Specifically I get

[tex]\rho k\pi R^{2}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d^{2} + R^{2}}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{(d+h)^{2} + R^{2}}})[/tex].

But since [tex] \rho = \frac{Q}{V} = \frac{Q}{\pi R^{2} h} [/tex] and [tex] \lambda = \frac{Q}{h} [/tex] both equations reduce down to

[tex]\frac{kQ}{h}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d^{2} + R^{2}}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{(d+h)^{2} + R^{2}}})[/tex].

Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,500
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

Your expression for the disk is wrong. You seem to understand the approach to solve the problem conceptually, but you don't seem to get the math quite yet. I'll show how you'd go about getting the electric field for the disk. You want to follow a similar approach to solve the cylinder problem.

In the integral for the electric field due to a charged ring of radius a,

[tex]
\int \frac{kx dq}{(x^{2} + a^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]

[itex]dq[/itex] represents the charge of an infinitesimal piece of the ring. The rest of the integrand is constant, so you get

[tex]
\int \frac{kx dq}{(x^{2} + a^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{kx}{(x^{2} + a^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} \int dq = \frac{kxQ}{(x^{2} + a^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]

where Q is the total charge on the ring. So far so good.

Now when you calculate the electric field of a disk with uniform charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex], you can think of the disk as a collection of rings. A ring of radius r and thickness dr has a charge [itex]dq=\sigma 2\pi r dr[/itex], so its contribution to the electric field will be

[tex]
dE = \frac{kxdq}{(x^{2} + r^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{kx(2\pi \sigma r dr)}{(x^{2} + r^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]

Note that the radius of the ring is no longer equal to the constant a. To get the total electric field of the disk, you'll now have to integrate. Once you have that result, then you can use it to calculate the field due to the solid cylinder, modeling the cylinder as a collection of disks.

I understand that logic (at least I think I do), actually my textbook goes through the problem of representing a disk as a series of rings, but I couldn't gather how to apply that approach to a cylinder (thus my confusion). Specifically my book says:

[tex]\int \frac{kx\pi\sigma 2rdr}{(x^{2} + r^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} = 2\pi k\sigma(1 - \frac{x}{(x^{2} + r^{2})^{1/2}})[/tex].

However in all the previous problems they have gone back to a more basic equation involving [tex] dq [/tex] and substituted either [tex] dq = \lambda dx [/tex] or [tex] dq = \sigma dA[/tex] or [tex] dq = \rho dV [/tex] into the integral. Since the disk equation does not contain a [tex] dq [/tex] I can't see how to apply the previous examples to this problem. I assume its not as simple as taking the disk equation and sticking a [tex] dx [/tex] onto the end of it

Last edited:
I wanted to make a point about your calculation for the hollow cylinder. I think your answer is correct, but that was an accident. Your method happened to work because the expression for the electric field of the ring happens to look like the original integrand with dq replaced by Q. The correct method is to start with the integrated expression, replace Q with dq for the cylinder, and then integrate.

Wow that is a fluke, Thanks a lot I really appreciate it!

Qbit42 said:
Specifically my book says:

[tex]\int \frac{kx\pi\sigma 2rdr}{(x^{2} + a^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} = 2\pi k\sigma(1 - \frac{x}{(x^{2} + r^{2})^{1/2}})[/tex].
That can't be right because you have an [itex]a[/itex] on the lefthand side, and it doesn't appear on the righthand side.

Do you understand how the book came up with original integrands? If you get that, the problems are relatively straightforward.

Oh that's my bad that a should be a r, in my haste when making the forum post I just copied the Ring intergral and changed it into the one for the disk. I apperently missed that :blushing:

Yeah now I see how it all fits together, I just happened to make the fluke and mess up the rest because of it.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force per unit charge exerted on a charged object by other charged objects in its surroundings. It is a vector field, meaning that it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a charged hallow cylinder/solid cylinder?

The electric field due to a charged hallow cylinder/solid cylinder on a point can be calculated using the formula E = k * Q * (r / L), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the cylinder, r is the distance from the point to the center of the cylinder, and L is the length of the cylinder.

3. What is the difference between a charged hallow cylinder and a solid cylinder?

A charged hallow cylinder has a hollow center, while a solid cylinder is filled with a material. This difference affects the distribution of charge on the surface of the cylinder and thus the electric field it produces.

4. How does the electric field change as the distance from the cylinder increases?

The electric field decreases as the distance from the cylinder increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charged objects.

5. Can the electric field due to a charged cylinder be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. The electric field of a charged cylinder can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the charge and the direction of the electric field at a specific point. A negative electric field indicates that the force on a positive charge would be in the opposite direction, while a positive electric field indicates that the force on a positive charge would be in the same direction as the field.