Mass on incline sliding into spring, how compressed?

In summary, a 14 kg box slides down a frictionless ramp and collides with a spring with a spring constant of 210 N/m. The maximum compression of the spring can be found by setting the gravitational potential energy of the box equal to the spring's potential energy. The maximum speed of the box can be found by setting the force of the spring equal to the force of gravity on the box. The total vertical distance traveled by the box should be taken into account when calculating the gravitational potential energy.
snoworskate

Homework Statement

A 14 kg box slides 4.0 {\rm m} down the frictionless ramp shown in the figure , then collides with a spring whose spring constant is 210 N/m.

10.CP71.jpg

a)What is the maximum compression of the spring?

b)At what compression of the spring does the box have its maximum speed?

Homework Equations

PEspring = (1/2)k(s)^2
Fsp = -ks

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this was a simple conversion of potential energy to a springs potential energy. So I tried mgh = (1/2)ks^2 where h=4sin(30). That gets me s=1.6 which is not correct. Do you have to take into account the force of gravity on the spring because it is not horizontal?

I haven't started the second part but I believe you would use a free body diagram, and the maximum speed is when the force of the spring exactly equals the force of gravity, i.e. when acceleration=0.

Thanks so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
snoworskate said:
I thought this was a simple conversion of potential energy to a springs potential energy. So I tried mgh = (1/2)ks^2 where h=4sin(30). That gets me s=1.6 which is not correct. Do you have to take into account the force of gravity on the spring because it is not horizontal?

Sort of, but not the spring itself. Consider that the total vertical distance that the mass travels. It is not just 4sin(30) meters. Once the mass hits the spring, the spring compresses by amount s. So the mass also travels a little more verically by the sin(30) component of s. Take the entire horizontal displacement when calculating the gravitational potential energy. Then set that equal to (1/2)ks2. :wink:

Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense

i still don't understand what you mean by taking the whole horizontal distance into account...

sweber4 said:
i still don't understand what you mean by taking the whole horizontal distance into account...

Oops. I mistyped. I meant take the whole vertical distance into account. Silly me. :blushing:

1. What is the relationship between the mass on an incline and the compression of a spring?

The relationship between the mass on an incline and the compression of a spring is dependent on the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction, and the spring constant. As the mass on the incline increases, the force acting on the spring also increases, causing it to compress more.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the compression of the spring?

The angle of the incline affects the compression of the spring because it determines the component of force acting on the spring due to gravity. A steeper incline will result in a greater force acting on the spring, causing it to compress more.

3. What role does the coefficient of friction play in the compression of the spring?

The coefficient of friction between the incline and the mass affects the compression of the spring by creating a resistive force that must be overcome by the force of gravity. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a higher resistive force, causing the spring to compress less.

4. How does the spring constant affect the compression of the spring?

The spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, directly affects the amount of compression. A higher spring constant will result in a greater force exerted by the spring, causing it to compress more.

5. Can the compression of the spring be calculated using mathematical equations?

Yes, the compression of the spring can be calculated using mathematical equations such as Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. Other factors such as the mass, angle of incline, and coefficient of friction can also be incorporated into the calculations.