Factors Affecting Friction Lab

In summary, the conversation involves designing and completing an investigation to determine how weight, surface area, and speed affect the force of friction. The speaker has limited resources and needs to measure the magnitude of the force of friction and calculate the average kinetic coefficient. They plan to use a tissue box, elastic band, and books to conduct the experiment. The conversation also mentions the use of a scale and suggests using a ramp and gravity to create a consistent force.
8uhohs
Thanks in advance for your help!
I'm currently doing this independent study and have nothing to help me with these questions except some lesson books that came with the course, but explains hardly anything and this site.

1)

so, I have to design and complete an investigation to determine how the following factors affect the force of friction:
  • weight
  • surface area
  • speed

Not only do i have to design one, I have to actually do it too because it says to include a lab report later. Since I don't have access to any good measuring instruments so any labs involving a spring balance or anything with a scale is impossible for me to do.

I will need to measure the magnitude of the force of friction.

and there is also a question like this:

calculate the average kinetic coefficient of friction for the two surfaces you used. What could you do to reduce this value??

I have no idea with how am I going to measure the magnitude of the force of friction and calculate the average kinetic coefficient. and I don't know how to incorporate surface area to this investigation.

Ff=[tex]\mu[/tex]FN

the only thing i can come up with is...

materials:
table
carpet
tissue box
elastic band
ruler
books

i'll pull (with the same velocity) the tissue box with the elastic on the two different surfaces and measure the length that the elastic stretches. Then i'll add the weight to the tissue box with books and do the same thing.

with calculating...i have no idea. But I'm guessing it should have something to do with this equation: Ff=[tex]\mu[/tex]FN

Again thanks so much for your help, I really really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What? Scales are so common. Your local university, college, or community college should have something you can use. Heck, go to the grocery store self-check out and use that scale.

No, you don't want to use yourself as a force. Make a ramp, and use the force of gravity so that the force will be consistent. Use a timer to see how long the object takes to get down the ramp, with whatever surface you put on there. Given what I've suggested, see if you can come up with the rest by yourself.

1. What is friction and why is it important to study?

Friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other. It is important to study because it plays a crucial role in everyday life and can affect the performance and efficiency of machines and systems.

2. What are the factors that affect friction?

The factors that affect friction include the type of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants.

3. How can we measure and quantify friction?

Friction can be measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force required to move one surface against another. The coefficient of friction can also be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force.

4. How does the type of surface affect friction?

The type of surface can greatly affect friction. For example, smoother surfaces tend to have less friction compared to rougher surfaces. Additionally, materials with higher coefficients of friction, such as rubber or sandpaper, will have more friction compared to materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as ice or Teflon.

5. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or materials with lower coefficients of friction can also help to reduce friction. In some cases, adding wheels or rollers can also reduce friction by allowing for smoother movement.