Need advice on physics project.

In summary, Joe is currently in Calculus 2 for engineers and his university has a new program where students can replace their final exam with a project from their department that involves calculus topics. Joe completed the first sequence of general physics and is seeking ideas for his project, with a particular interest in incorporating astronomy and astrophysics. He has the entire semester to work on the project and it will be published in his university's science journal. Some possible ideas for Joe's project include investigating mathematical models in astronomy and astrophysics, exploring the mathematics behind the detection of exoplanets, and looking into the mathematical methods used to calculate the trajectories of spacecrafts. Joe will be meeting with his physics professor to discuss his ideas.
Agent M27
I am currently in Calculus 2 for engineers and my Uni is attempting a new program. This is a program by which a student can exempt themself from taking the final exam, replacing it with a project from within their department so long as it makes use of Calculus topics. I have completed the first sequence of general physics and was looking for some ideas that would be within the reach of someone with this level of experience. I also have a strong interest in astronomy/astrophysics and would like to possibly incoroporate that some how. I will have the entire semester to work on this project and it will need to be published in my Uni's science journal. Thanks in advance. I will be meeting with my physics professor later this week but I wanted to have at least two ideas to pitch before the meeting. Take care.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
,For your project, you could investigate the mathematical models used in astronomy and astrophysics. You could look into Kepler's laws of planetary motion, Newton's law of gravity, or even more complex models such as the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker metric. You could explore how these models are used to explain phenomena such as the orbits of planets, the expansion of the universe, and the formation of galaxies. You could also investigate the mathematics behind the detection of exoplanets to see how calculus is used in this field. Another idea would be to look into the mathematical methods used to calculate the trajectories of spacecrafts. This could include looking into topics such as the two-body problem, orbital mechanics, and the energy equations for a rocket. You could also investigate the mathematics used to calculate the time of flight, fuel requirements, and other parameters needed for a successful mission.I hope this helps you get started on your project! Good luck!

What is the best way to start a physics project?

The best way to start a physics project is by understanding the project guidelines and objectives. This will help you create a clear plan and determine the necessary materials and resources.

What are some good resources for finding information on a physics project?

Some good resources for finding information on a physics project include textbooks, scientific journals, online databases, and reputable websites such as NASA, National Geographic, and Physics.org.

How do I ensure my physics project is accurate and reliable?

To ensure accuracy and reliability in your physics project, make sure to carefully design and conduct experiments, use precise measurements and accurate data, and consult with experts or peers in the field for feedback.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a physics project?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a physics project include incorrect calculations, lack of proper controls in experiments, using unreliable sources, and not following safety protocols.

How can I make my physics project more visually appealing?

To make your physics project more visually appealing, you can use diagrams, graphs, and charts to present data, incorporate images or videos, and use colorful and organized displays. You can also consider using creative and interactive elements, such as models or simulations, to engage your audience.