Teaching science sequentially from scratch

In summary, the alien wants to learn about science by studying what interests them the most. They start with biology because it is the most interesting thing about them, then move on to chemistry, which is also interesting, and finally physics, which is the most math-heavy. They try to get an historical context whenever possible and avoid rote memorization.
sciencewannab
I unfortunately know very little about science. The good news is that I have recently become very interested in it.

Ok so, if we could pretend like I am an alien from another universe unlike ours, how would you suggest to begin studying? If you had to start over how would you learn it? Or maybe the best approach to this would be how would you teach your kids?

Would you start with
1)the properties of the universe? gravity? light?
2)elements?
3)our bodies?

I really want to gain an intuitive understanding of how it all works, so any tips on HOW you study would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a little hard to gauge. Most people have very specific interests, not just 'science'. If you were an alien, I would recommend you study biology first, because if we were talking to you, you'd be most interested in the most unique thing we humans have to offer: ourselves.

But as for you, I never took a course in biology. I never found biology anything more than vaguely intriguing. It's all up to you, mate. Which of these do you find most interesting: physics, chemistry, biology, geology, implementation (I.E. engineering), ecology, zoology..?

Typically, curricula are created in high school to correspond to the recipient's most likely math level. Thus, biology starts first, because you rarely need to quantify anything. Then chemistry, which needs a little algebra 1 and a bit of algebra 2. Then physics, which is very heavily math oriented.

If you don't know much math (little or no algebra, and no trigonometry), I suggest getting a textbook that is intended for a "descriptive physics" course, such as this one:

Conceptual Physics, by Paul Hewitt

Many U.S. colleges and universities use this book for courses for students who are not science majors. So do many high schools, for their non-AP courses.

If you don't want to pay that much money for a new copy of the latest edition, you can probably find a cheap used copy of an earlier edition. The physics is pretty much the same regardless of the edition. Most of the changes between editions are basically to force students taking courses to buy new copies from the publisher instead of used copies from previous users.

Thanks so much that is great help Angry Citizen and jtbell.

I think that is great advice to study what interests you, but the problem is that I am equally interested in all of it. It is not practical but it is the truth. I would like just like to be able to go for a walk, look around, and understand everything that is happening around me, that's all.

So the consensus is to study maths simultaneously, i think that is wise.

Biology / algebra 1 and a bit of algebra 2 (so will be ready for chem)
Chemistry / more algebra and trig (so will be ready for physics)
Physics /

I mean, I wonder how people like Einstein studied, I think he was mostly self taught. (If anyone has a rec on the best Einstein bio that would help).

I would like to avoid rote memorization as much as possible and shoot for deep intuitive learning. I very much like the Sidis method mentioned on their website.

Ok here is what confuses/bothers me - science is about not relying on dogma. But, I mean at some point, you have to just take the textbook's word for it, no? I can't go around splitting atoms, but I guess I should do as much home experimentation as I can.

Do you guys just read textbooks? What else do you do to help you learn?

The particulate nature of matter probably.

Do you guys just read textbooks? What else do you do to help you learn?

Well, I try to get an historical context whenever possible. Like with the non-quantum model of the atom, I looked at the Rutherford experiment to see how they determined it. Quite ingenious, actually.

1. What does it mean to teach science sequentially from scratch?

Teaching science sequentially from scratch means starting from the very basics and building upon that foundation in a logical and progressive manner. It involves breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces and ensuring that students have a solid understanding of each concept before moving on to the next one.

2. Why is it important to teach science sequentially from scratch?

Teaching science sequentially from scratch is important because it allows students to develop a strong understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of science. This foundation is essential for further learning and critical thinking in the subject. It also helps students to see the connections between different concepts and how they build upon each other.

3. How can teachers effectively teach science sequentially from scratch?

Teachers can effectively teach science sequentially from scratch by starting with the most basic concepts and gradually introducing more complex ones. They should also provide hands-on activities and experiments to help students understand and apply the concepts. Additionally, using visual aids, real-world examples, and asking thought-provoking questions can also enhance the learning experience.

4. Is teaching science sequentially from scratch suitable for all grade levels?

Yes, teaching science sequentially from scratch can be adapted for all grade levels. It may look different in terms of the specific concepts and activities used, but the overall approach of building a strong foundation and progressing logically applies to all levels.

5. What are the benefits of teaching science sequentially from scratch?

The benefits of teaching science sequentially from scratch include a deeper understanding of scientific concepts, improved critical thinking skills, and the ability to make connections between different concepts. It also helps students to develop a love for science and sets them up for success in future science courses and careers.