What is the Displacement and Force Acting on a Particle in the xy Plane?

In summary, the particle undergoes a displacement of 4.55 m and experiences a constant force of 5.44 N. The work done by the force is 23.37 J and the angle between the force and displacement is 64.98 degrees. The magnitude of the displacement can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, while the magnitude of the force is simply the length of the force vector. The work done can be calculated using the dot product of the displacement and force vectors, and the angle between the two can be found using inverse trigonometric functions.
vinnyzwrx

Homework Statement

A particle moving in the xy plane undergoes a displacement ⃗s = (sx ˆi + sy ˆj), with sx = 1.74 m, sy = 4.3 m, while a constant force
F⃗ = (Fxˆi+Fyˆj), with Fx = 5.1 N, Fy = 1.95 N, acts on the particle.
Calculate the magnitude of the displacement.
Answer in units of m.

Find the magnitude of the force. Answer in units of N.

Calculate the work done by F⃗ . Answer in units of J.

Calculate the angle between F⃗ and ⃗s. Answer in units of degrees.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i took the dot product of the two thinking i would get the magnitude of the displacement. I am lost as to why it is incorrect?

1.74*5.1 + 4.3*1.95 = 17.259

Physics news on Phys.org
its simple, i figured it out... i feel like an idiot

pythagorean theorm, magnitude = sqrt(1.74^2 + 4.3^2)

the entire problem is simple, i figured it out so i thought i would post it in case anyone would stumble upon this in the future

Find the magnitude of the force. Answer in units of N.

this is just the length force vector, duh...

Calculate the work done by F⃗ . Answer in units of J.

this is the dot product of the two

Calculate the angle between F⃗ and ⃗s. Answer in units of degrees.

this angle is found by taking the inverse of any trig function, provided that you use the correct sides that coorespond to that function, of the larger angle, - the smaller angle.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can change the state of motion or shape of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does force act on a particle?

Force acts on a particle by exerting a push or pull on it. This can cause the particle to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

3. What are the different types of forces that can act on a particle?

There are several types of forces that can act on a particle, including gravitational force, electromagnetic force, frictional force, and nuclear force.

4. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units of newtons (N). It can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass (in kilograms) by its acceleration (in meters per second squared).

5. How does the direction of the force affect the particle?

The direction of the force determines the direction of the particle's acceleration. If the force acts in the same direction as the particle's velocity, it will increase its speed. If the force acts in the opposite direction, it will decrease its speed. If the force acts at a right angle to the particle's velocity, it will change its direction of motion.