Electric potential and electric potential energy concept questions

In summary, the electric potential at point A is greater than the electric potential at point B. The work done on a -17.0 C charge moved along the first path is greater than the work done on a -17.0 C charge moved along the second path. The electric potential energy of a -17.0 C charge at point B is greater than the electric potential energy of a -17.0 C charge at point C.
j.frank52
Hello. This is my first post! Thanks in advance for any help given.

Homework Statement

A constant electric field is in the positive X direction as shown in the diagram below. Also shown are two paths through which a charge can move from point A to point C. In the first path path the charge moves parallel to the Y-axis to B and then parallel to the X-axis to C. In the second path, the charge moves directly from A to C.

VJe0M.png

Select greater than, less than or equal to for the following statements.

1. The electric potential at point A is ___________ the electric potential at point B.

2. The work done on a -17.0 C charge moved along the first path is __________ the work done on a -17.0 C charge moved along the second path.

3. The electric potential energy of a -17.0 C charge at point B is ___________ the electric potential energy of a -17.0 C charge at point C.

Homework Equations

W=Fd
V=U/q

The Attempt at a Solution

1. For this I put equal to because the A and B are on the same equipotential surface.

2. For this I put equal to because work is path independent.

3. For this one I'm unsure how to explain in terms of equations or concepts. I have multiple tries to guess and get the right answer, but I wish to know of how I can actually get to the right choice for this one. Any suggestions or hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
j.frank52 said:
3. For this one I'm unsure how to explain in terms of equations or concepts. I have multiple tries to guess and get the right answer, but I wish to know of how I can actually get to the right choice for this one. Any suggestions or hints?
Is there a potential difference between B and C? Which direction is the force on a negative charge?

AM

What is the definition of electric potential? How are work of the electric field and potential difference related?

ehild

Thanks!

Hello! It's great to see you asking for help on your first post. Let's go through each statement one by one.

1. You are correct in saying that the electric potential at points A and B are equal because they are on the same equipotential surface. This means that they have the same electric potential energy per unit charge.

2. Again, you are correct in saying that the work done on a charge is independent of the path taken. This is because the electric force is a conservative force, meaning that the work done does not depend on the path but only on the initial and final positions. Therefore, the work done on the -17.0 C charge along both paths will be the same.

3. This statement is a bit trickier, but you are on the right track with using the equations for electric potential and electric potential energy. Remember that the electric potential energy of a charge is equal to the product of its charge and the electric potential at that point. So, at point B, the electric potential energy will be equal to U = qV, where q is the charge and V is the electric potential at point B. Similarly, at point C, the electric potential energy will be U = qV, where V is the electric potential at point C. Since the electric potential at points B and C are different (due to the presence of the electric field), the electric potential energies will also be different. Therefore, the correct answer is "less than" as the electric potential energy at point B will be less than the electric potential energy at point C.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a property of a point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is a measure of the potential for work to be done on a charged particle in that electric field. In other words, electric potential energy is the amount of energy a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field, while electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in the electric field.

3. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is directly related to electric field through the equation V = Ed, where V is electric potential, E is electric field, and d is the distance between the point and the source of the electric field. This means that the strength of the electric field at a particular point determines the electric potential at that point.

4. What is the unit for electric potential?

The SI unit for electric potential is the volt (V), which is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C). This unit is used to measure the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

5. How is electric potential useful in practical applications?

Electric potential is useful in many practical applications, such as in the design and functioning of electrical circuits, motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of electrochemistry, where it plays a crucial role in determining the direction and rate of chemical reactions. Additionally, electric potential is used in medical equipment, such as electrocardiograms, to measure the electrical activity of the heart.