Relating Radial Strain to Circumferential

In summary, the speaker is discussing their goal of calculating Poisson's ratio using strain gauges attached to a solid cylinder. They are questioning if their logic, which suggests that circumferential strain is equal to axial strain, is correct. They also ask about the correct formula for Poisson's ratio. The expert summarizer explains that the speaker is correct in saying that radial strain is equal to circumferential strain, but they should also take axial strain into consideration when calculating Poisson's ratio.
Conorfell
Hi,

I have a solid cylinder to which I have strain gauges attached to measure axial and circumferential strains. My goal is to relate the circumferential strain to radial strain and then to calculate possion's ratio. Every time I try to work out the geometry of the problem I end up saying that circumferential strain is equal to axial strain, can this be true?

Terms:
Ec = Circumferential Strain = dC/C
dC = change in length of circumference
C = circumference
Er = Radial Strain = dR/R
dR = change in length of radius
R = radius

Here is my logic:
Strain Circumferential (Ec) is equal to the strain is see in one single strain gauge attached along circumference. dC = 2*PI*dR. Then dR can be expressed as dR = C*Ec/(2*PI). Which means Er= dR/R = C*Ec/(2*PI*R) = Ec. Can that be right?

Then is my possion's ratio radial/axial or axial/radial?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're right about the radial strain being equal to the circumferential strain. Since circumference changes proportionally with radius, the strains will be the same since strain is really just a proportion.

However, you're not taking axial strain into consideration. Your axial strain will be dL/L. The Poisson's ratio is v=-Er/Ea = -(dR/R)/(dL/L) or -(dC/C)/(dL/L) if you prefer.

1. What is radial strain and circumferential strain?

Radial strain is defined as the change in length of an object in the radial direction, perpendicular to its cross-sectional area. Circumferential strain is the change in length of an object along its circumference, parallel to its cross-sectional area.

2. How are radial strain and circumferential strain related?

Radial strain and circumferential strain are related through the Poisson's ratio, which is a material property that describes the relationship between a material's radial and circumferential strains. It is defined as the negative ratio of the transverse strain to the axial strain.

3. What is the formula for relating radial strain to circumferential strain?

The formula for relating radial strain to circumferential strain is εr = -νεθ, where εr is the radial strain, εθ is the circumferential strain, and ν is the Poisson's ratio.

4. How do changes in radial strain affect circumferential strain and vice versa?

Changes in radial strain will result in an opposite change in circumferential strain due to the negative sign in the formula. For example, if the radial strain decreases, the circumferential strain will increase. This inverse relationship between the two strains is important in understanding the behavior of materials under stress.

5. What practical applications does relating radial strain to circumferential strain have?

Relating radial strain to circumferential strain is useful in engineering and material science applications. It allows for the prediction and analysis of how materials will behave under different types of stress and loading conditions. This information is crucial in designing and testing structures and materials for various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.