What are the best reference books for IIT-JEE Physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a Grade 11 student asking for suggestions on good reference books for PHYSICS in preparation for the IIT-JEE. The student mentions not finding H.C. Verma appealing and is recommended to try Arihant books and IE Irodov. It is also emphasized that building intuition is more important than solving tough problems and HC Verma and Irodov are suggested for this purpose. A good book is defined as one that challenges the reader to think deeply about concepts. Krane and HC Verma-Irodov are mentioned as good options, while guide books with lots of solved problems are discouraged.
khil_phys
I'm a Grade 11 student preparing for the IIT-JEE. Can anyone suggest me good reference books for PHYSICS? I looked up H.C. Verma but did not find it appealing at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
khil_phys said:
I'm a Grade 11 student preparing for the IIT-JEE. Can anyone suggest me good reference books for PHYSICS? I looked up H.C. Verma but did not find it appealing at all.

You can look out for the Arihant books for IIT-JEE on Physics.
Why don't you find H.C. Verma an appealing book?

The theory is not up to the mark, and the problems are not that tough.

Yes, i agree that the theory is not up to the mark, but you can't ignore its questions.
Each question has a little concept behind it.

If HC Verma is not upto mark move to IE Irodov.But please note that innocent seeming problems of HC Verma have almost always a very sharp concept behind them.That's why I loved those.One bit of advise:Solving tough problems will not help you as much as building your intuition.And for that HC Verma is indispensable.And there is no place for arrogance in physics.

You're right, but that can also be done by solving D.C. Pandey's problems or, for that matter, some other good ones too. Why only HCV?

You don't get it.HC Verma problems are not tough but concept based.At your level it's not the problems you solve rather the concepts you build that are important.Also books that supply a lot of solved examples are invariably killing your intuition and that is why HC Verma and Irodov is suggested.
By the way what's your definition of a good book?

Likes poseidon721
A blend of good theory explanation and problems. HRW, and to some extent Zemansky fit into this group.

And obviously Irodov.

Last edited:
they are right..i am also preparing for jee(though i am in ten) and in those hardly 5 pages theory and questions of hc verma(if read and solved sincerely) you will find all the concepts which is the key..
nywyz you can read university physics i found it very attractive

A good book is something that forces you to think because it can reflect the depth of concepts that are usually in play.That can be through problems or explanations or both.By the way you are right.I personally used Krane for theory and HC Verma-Irodov-assignments for problems.Just avoid those ugly fat guide books with lots of solved problems.

Likes poseidon721

1. What are reference books for IIT-JEE?

Reference books for IIT-JEE are study materials that provide additional resources and practice questions for students preparing for the Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE). These books are designed to complement the official syllabus and textbooks and help students improve their understanding and performance in the exam.

2. How do I choose the right reference books for IIT-JEE?

Choosing the right reference books for IIT-JEE can be a daunting task. It is important to look for books that cover the entire syllabus, have clear and concise explanations, and include a variety of practice questions. It is also a good idea to consult with teachers and peers to get recommendations and read reviews before making a choice.

3. Which are the best reference books for IIT-JEE?

There is no single "best" reference book for IIT-JEE as different books work for different students. However, some popular choices include books by authors like H.C. Verma, Resnick and Halliday, and Cengage. It is important to find a book that suits your learning style and helps you grasp the concepts effectively.

4. Can I solely rely on reference books for IIT-JEE preparation?

No, it is not recommended to solely rely on reference books for IIT-JEE preparation. These books should be used as a supplement to your regular study material and should not replace it. It is important to have a good understanding of the concepts from the official textbooks before using reference books for additional practice and reinforcement.

5. Are there online resources for reference books for IIT-JEE?

Yes, there are many online resources available for reference books for IIT-JEE. Some popular options include e-books, video lectures, and online practice tests. However, it is important to be cautious and use reliable sources from trusted publishers to ensure the accuracy and quality of the content.