Independent study of Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on the best sequence of topics to study in order to strengthen their knowledge of physics. They mention having a basic college course in physics but needing a refresher. They also mention having a background in mathematics and ask for suggestions on what math concepts to learn. They inquire about resources for studying physics and someone suggests a link to physicist Gerard 't Hooft's website. However, the individual expresses concern over the website's lack of pedagogy and recommends starting with the Feynman lectures on physics and studying any necessary math concepts.
Fletch29
I have always had a passing interest in physics, but would like to strengthen my knowledge of physics. I am looking for a good sequence of topics to begin my studies and work through physics content. I had a basic physics course in college, but would probably need to refresh my knowledge. So any advice on the order to attack physics as a hole would be great. Any suggestions of good text to use for each topic that would appreciated as well, and good online resources.

I have a little mathematical background as well. I have taken the calculus sequence, differential equations, abstract algebra, linear algebra (matrix theory), and foundations of geometry, might be another one in there I don't remember. I assume I will need to strengthen my math with the growing level of physics I study. Any suggestions on what math I should learn as well?

I also assume there is already a thread with this information, so even direction to that would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this quote indicates the limited usefulness T'Hoofts site, by his own admission:

"Note that this site NOT meant to be very pedagogical. I avoid texts with lots of colorful but distracting pictures from authors who try hard to be funny."

T'Hooft is a good physicist, and it's worth seeing what he has to say, but he doesn't have a very friendly attitude. I wouldn't recommend learning physics the way he says. Only T'Hooft could do that and manage to be successful.

He has this sort of macho attitude. I think there's a place for macho, but he's macho in the wrong way, for the most part. Yeah, you should probably try to learn some stuff from a bad textbook at some point, just so you have the experience of trying to outsmart it. But, for the most part, I think it's a terrible idea. There is just too much to learn for it to make any sense to make it harder than it has to be. You don't need to throw in obstacles in your way. The CONCEPTS should be made easy. The PROBLEMS are what should be hard. But even the problems shouldn't be too hard. Just hard enough to make you struggle, but still succeed.

So, read what he has to say. He may have some good advice. But I would take it with a grain of salt.

Just start reading the Feynman lectures on physics. Study all math concepts that you are struggling with. There is no better way to start with physics :smile:

As a fellow scientist, I am excited to hear about your interest in independent study of physics. It is a vast and complex field, so it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals before diving into more advanced topics.

Based on your background in mathematics, I would recommend starting with classical mechanics, as it is the foundation of physics and relies heavily on calculus. It would also be helpful to review your knowledge of vectors and basic algebra. Some good resources for this topic include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

Next, I would suggest studying electromagnetism, which is another essential topic in physics. This will require a strong understanding of vector calculus, so it may be helpful to review or refresh your knowledge in this area. Some recommended textbooks for this topic are "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell.

After that, you can move on to thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, which deal with the behavior of matter and energy. For these topics, I would recommend "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by Herbert B. Callen and "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria.

As for online resources, there are many great websites that offer free lectures and tutorials on various physics topics, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. I would also suggest checking out physics forums and online communities, where you can ask questions and engage in discussions with other physics enthusiasts.

In terms of math, it is always beneficial to have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. As you progress in your physics studies, you may also encounter topics that require knowledge of differential equations, complex analysis, and group theory. However, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of these topics at the beginning. As you encounter them in your studies, you can always refer back to your textbooks or seek out additional resources to strengthen your understanding.

I hope this information helps guide you in your independent study of physics. Remember to also have fun and explore different areas of physics that interest you. Good luck on your journey!

What is independent study of Physics?

Independent study of Physics is a self-directed learning experience in which a student explores a specific topic or concept in physics on their own. This type of study allows for a deeper understanding of the subject and the opportunity for the student to set their own pace and goals.

How do I choose a topic for independent study of Physics?

Choosing a topic for independent study of Physics can be a challenging but exciting process. It is important to choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and have a basic understanding of. You can also consult with your instructor or a mentor for guidance and suggestions.

What are the benefits of independent study of Physics?

Independent study of Physics has numerous benefits, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, improving self-motivation and time management, and gaining a deeper understanding of the subject matter. It also allows for a more personalized learning experience tailored to the individual's needs and interests.

How do I structure my independent study of Physics?

The structure of independent study of Physics will vary depending on the individual and their goals. However, it is helpful to create a plan that includes specific objectives, a timeline, and resources such as textbooks, online resources, and experiments. It is also essential to set aside dedicated time for studying and to regularly check in with a mentor or instructor for guidance and feedback.

What resources are available for independent study of Physics?

There are numerous resources available for independent study of Physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, scientific journals, and experiments. It is also beneficial to consult with a mentor or instructor for additional resources and support. Additionally, participating in study groups or joining online forums can provide opportunities for discussion and collaboration with others studying the same topic.