Calculating angular acceleration and angular velocity

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the angular acceleration and angular velocity of a 2kg object rotating in a circle of 1.5m radius in a time of 3s. They are having difficulty understanding the equation and are asking for help. The problem statement is a little unclear, but it appears that the object will start from rest and travel one circle in 3s. There are several ways to solve this problem, including using the kinematic formulas for accelerated motion.
Dave_1984

Homework Statement

Calculate the angular acceleration and angular velocity of a 2kg object rotating in a
circle of 1.5m radius in a time of 3s.

Homework Equations

w=v/r
2*pie*r

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi all, every attempt so far has been a failure, I just can't work out how to calculate this, hours spent, Please help.

Thanks
Dave.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that a complete statement of the problem? Is it moving at constant speed? Or does it start from rest, by any chance?

What have you done so far?

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't this be calculated pretty much directly assuming the body is at a constant speed? Really don't want to overhelp here.

Hi, Yes that is the complete question so I guess it will start from rest if they are asking for the acceleration?

My course information provides very short explanitions and no examples of angular acceleration and angular velocity. (ICS)

As for what I have done so far - mainly just looking at it. I know for angular accelaration I need to use w=v/r If I'm honest I am not sure how to get v?

I'm doing quite well apart from this question so I'm sure I'm missing something simple?

Dave_1984 said:
Hi, Yes that is the complete question so I guess it will start from rest if they are asking for the acceleration?
If that's the word for word exact problem statement, it's very poorly worded. You shouldn't have to guess what they mean. (Please double check!)

As for what I have done so far - mainly just looking at it. I know for angular accelaration I need to use w=v/r If I'm honest I am not sure how to get v?
That formula relates angular speed (ω) to tangential speed (v).

Here's how I interpret the problem, although this is just a guess: It starts from rest and travels, with constant acceleration, one complete circle in the given time.

What kinematic formulas for accelerated motion might you apply?

Nah, it won't be at rest to start, its going to be a constant velocity. The term angular acceleration refers to the fact that its constantly changing direction, and hence velocity (which is a vector). As for finding this velocity...

Average speed = distance over time. You now need to consider how to find the distance the object travels in one rotation... :)

MrB8rPhysics said:
The term angular acceleration refers to the fact that its constantly changing direction, and hence velocity (which is a vector).
Not usually. Angular acceleration refers to the rate at which the angular velocity is changing. (And if the angular velocity is constant...)

Yea agreed, I didnt word my explanation very well at all... :)

Hi yes that is the question word for word, it has definitely confused me.

I could use s = ut + 1/2at if it starts at rest that will give me the acceleration in ms-2

I have read that angular acceleration is measured it rad/s?

2 pi r= 9.42m

9.42 / 3 = 3.14ms-1
Thats about as far as I can go.

Dave_1984 said:
I could use s = ut + 1/2at if it starts at rest that will give me the acceleration in ms-2
I think you mean s = ut + 1/2at2 (you left out the square). You can let s, u, and a represent angular quantities.

I have read that angular acceleration is measured it rad/s?
Angular speed has units of rad/s; angular acceleration has units of rad/s2.

2 pi r= 9.42m

9.42 / 3 = 3.14ms-1
That would be a calculation of average speed. (What would be the final speed?)

Use the formula above (modified for rotational quantities) to find the acceleration.

There are several ways to solve this. Just dive in.

Hi, this is the last question of my assessment and I have spent over 10 hours looking at it and I really don't understand it. (I have had no problem with the other 25)

I'm sure there is an easy and simple explanation as to where I'm going wrong? I can remember doing this in school and I'm sure it was not this h

Thanks
Dave.

1. What is angular acceleration and how is it calculated?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis, whereas linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. How can angular acceleration and angular velocity be measured in a lab setting?

Angular acceleration and angular velocity can be measured using various instruments such as an accelerometer, gyroscope, or tachometer. These devices can track the changes in an object's rotational motion and provide numerical values for angular acceleration and angular velocity.

4. How does the direction of angular velocity affect the direction of angular acceleration?

The direction of angular acceleration is always perpendicular to the direction of angular velocity. This means that if an object is rotating clockwise (positive angular velocity), the angular acceleration will be in the opposite direction (negative angular acceleration) and vice versa.

5. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and torque?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate. The relationship between angular acceleration and torque can be described by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This means that the greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its angular acceleration will be.