Calculating Transition Probability and Width in a System with Perturbation

Your Name]In summary, we discussed the probability of a transition between two states |i> and |f> in a system with a perturbation of the form wcosωt. Using Fermi's Golden Rule, we found that the probability depends on the magnitude of the perturbation w, the frequency ω, and the time t. The probability is maximal when ω = 0, and the width of P(t) at the maximum is related to the time-energy uncertainty relation. Higher frequencies correspond to a more precise measurement of energy.
helpcometk

Homework Statement

Consider a system with states |i> (with energy Ei) and |f> with energy eF) AND A PPERTURBATION OF THE FORM w(t)=wcosωt

i) WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY P(t) FOR A TRANSITION BETWEEN |i> AND |f> ?
ii)FOR WHICH VALUE OF ω IS THE PROBABILITY MAXIMAL ?GIVE THE PROBABILITY IN THIS CASE.
iii)WHAT IS THE WIDTH OF P(t) AT THE MAXIMUM?(VIEWED AS A FUNCTION OF ω).EXPLAIN HOW IT IS RELATED TO THE TIME-ENERGY UNCERTAINTY RELATION.

Homework Equations

i have searched in chris foot and in some other textbooks but i found no clues .

The Attempt at a Solution

in the attachement igive what chris foot gives about this subject. do you think Ω is the frequency i need on ii) ?

Attachments

• CHRIS FOOT 1.bmp
    65 KB · Views: 485
  • cf 2.bmp
    22.6 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. I am happy to share my insights on this problem.

i) The probability P(t) for a transition between |i> and |f> can be calculated using Fermi's Golden Rule, which states that P(t) = |<f|H'|i>|^2 * (sin((Ef-Ei)t/2))^2, where H' is the perturbation operator and Ef and Ei are the energies of states |f> and |i>, respectively. In this case, the perturbation operator is wcosωt, so P(t) = |<f|wcosωt|i>|^2 * (sin((Ef-Ei)t/2))^2. The probability depends on the magnitude of the perturbation w, the frequency ω, and the time t.

ii) The probability will be maximal when the term |<f|wcosωt|i>|^2 is maximal. This occurs when the cosine function is at its maximum value, which happens when ω = 0. In this case, P(t) = |<f|w|i>|^2 * (sin((Ef-Ei)t/2))^2. The probability is directly proportional to the square of the magnitude of the perturbation w.

iii) The width of P(t) at the maximum is related to the time-energy uncertainty relation, which states that the uncertainty in energy (ΔE) and the uncertainty in time (Δt) are inversely proportional to each other, i.e. ΔE * Δt ~ hbar. In this case, the width of P(t) at the maximum is related to the uncertainty in energy, which is given by ΔE = |Ef-Ei|. As ω increases, the width of P(t) decreases, meaning that the uncertainty in energy decreases. This is because higher frequencies correspond to shorter periods of time, and thus, a more precise measurement of energy can be made.

I hope this helps in your understanding of this problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is transition probability and width in a system with perturbation?

Transition probability and width refer to the likelihood and range of possible energy transitions that can occur in a system with perturbation. This perturbation can be caused by external forces or interactions between particles within the system.

2. How is transition probability and width calculated?

Transition probability is calculated using the transition matrix element, which represents the amplitude of a transition between two quantum states. Width is calculated using the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the energy of a system is known, the less precisely the time of the transition can be determined.

3. What factors affect the transition probability and width in a perturbed system?

The transition probability and width can be affected by the strength and duration of the perturbation, as well as the energy difference between the initial and final states. Additionally, the nature of the perturbation and the properties of the system, such as the number of particles and their interactions, can also play a role.

4. How can transition probability and width be experimentally measured?

Transition probability and width can be measured through spectroscopic techniques, such as absorption or emission spectroscopy, which allow for the observation of the energy transitions in a system. Other experimental techniques, such as scattering experiments, can also provide information about the transition probability and width.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating transition probability and width?

Calculating transition probability and width is important in various fields, including quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and material science. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of particles and systems, as well as to design and optimize technologies such as lasers and semiconductors.