What is Upsetting in Forging Die Design?

• Thread starter hemal1972
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, the conversation is about a fresh mechanical engineer who is currently studying forging die design and is having trouble understanding the term "upsetting" or "upsetter". The expert explains that it refers to shortening the length of a material and increasing its diameter to create a specific shape. Hot upsetting is a common process in industrial settings and involves heating the material to improve its flow during deformation.
hemal1972
hello, expert people,
i am fresh mechanical engineer.
right now i am reading about forging die design.

i can not understand one term. i.e. upsetting or upsetter. please explain me about it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It means shortening the length of a bar of material and increasing its diameter to make the required shape.

http://www.ustudy.in/node/2890

Last edited by a moderator:
Very commonly you will see "hot upsetting" which is self explanatory.
Due to the extent of deformation resulting in most industrial upsetting processes, it is necessary to improve material flow by reducing material strength - achieved commonly by heating the material to above its plastic deformation range before upsetting.
The hot riveting process used widely in the early days of steel hulled ship construction is a good example.

What is forging terminology?

Forging terminology refers to the specific language or vocabulary used to describe the process of forging, which is the shaping of metal using compressive forces. It includes terms for different types of forging, tools and equipment used, and specific techniques.

What are the different types of forging?

There are several types of forging, including open die forging, closed die forging, impression die forging, and press forging. Each type involves different methods of shaping the metal, and the choice of which to use depends on the size, shape, and complexity of the final product.

What are some common terms used in forging terminology?

Some common terms used in forging terminology include billet, which is the raw material used in forging, upset, which is the process of thickening the metal by hammering, and draft, which is the taper on the sides of a forged part to aid in the removal from the die.

What are the tools and equipment used in forging?

The main tools and equipment used in forging include a hammer or press for applying compressive forces, dies for shaping the metal, and tongs for holding and moving the hot metal. Other tools such as chisels, punches, and swages may also be used for specific techniques or details.

What are some common techniques used in forging?

Some common techniques used in forging include drawing out, which is the process of lengthening the metal, bending, which is the process of creating curves or angles, and fullering, which is the process of creating grooves or depressions in the metal. These techniques can be combined in various ways to achieve specific shapes and designs in the forged product.