How To create an .exe file from Mathematica ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an .exe file from a Mathematica code that can be run with double-clicks and asks for values for variables. It is mentioned that Mathematica may not be able to export to .exe, but a cdf file can be used for interactive purposes. Instructions are provided for deploying a notebook to cdf format.
parazit
How To create an .exe file from Mathematica code ?

Hi,

I just wonder is there a way to create an exe file from a Mathematica code, that runs just with double-clicks on it ?

When it starts running it may ask some values for some variables and when one of them entered the others and the result will be calculated automatically. (The variableas are depens each others)

Is that possible and if yes please mention a little bit how?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if mathematica can export to *.exe. What you're probably looking for is a cdf file. It's a file that can be played without mathematica (it's used on wolfram demonstration project [PLAIN]http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/).[/PLAIN] [Broken] If you have mathematica 8.0.4 notebooks can be deployed directly by clicking on File -> Deploy ... so make a notebook write something you want to .. something with Manipulate[] if you want to have interactive stuff e.g.

Manipulate[Plot[a*x^2,{x,0,3},AspectRatio-> Automatic,PlotStyle-> {Thick,Magenta}],{a,-5,5}]

Then go to File-> Deploy. You need a free copy of CDFPlayer (available from wolfram's website) to play the cdf on a PC without mathematica (or in a web browser like on demonstrations).

If you have an older mathematica copy (like 8.0.0 or even older) you won't have the Deploy thing in your File tab. In that case, you can convert your nbs to cdfs online , here http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/interactivedeployment/publish/
You need to enter license and email and all that annoying stuff but it should work ...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an .exe file and why do I need to create it from Mathematica?

An .exe file is an executable file that can be run on a Windows operating system. It contains a set of instructions that are executed by the computer to perform a specific task. Creating an .exe file from Mathematica allows you to create a standalone program that can be easily shared and executed on other computers without the need for Mathematica software.

2. How do I create an .exe file from Mathematica?

To create an .exe file from Mathematica, you can use the function CreateExecutable. This function allows you to specify the name of the output file, the main function to be executed, and any necessary files or packages to be included. You can also customize the appearance of the .exe file by specifying an icon, version information, and other options.

3. Can I create an .exe file from any Mathematica code?

Yes, you can create an .exe file from any Mathematica code as long as it does not rely on any external libraries or dependencies. The code should be self-contained and able to run on its own without the need for Mathematica software. It is recommended to test the code thoroughly before creating the .exe file to ensure it runs properly.

4. Are there any limitations to creating an .exe file from Mathematica?

There are a few limitations to creating an .exe file from Mathematica. First, the resulting .exe file will only be compatible with Windows operating systems. Additionally, any external dependencies or packages used in the code must also be included in the .exe file for it to run properly on other computers. Finally, some advanced features of Mathematica, such as dynamic interactivity, may not be supported in the .exe file.

5. Do I need to have a license for Mathematica to create an .exe file?

Yes, you will need a valid Mathematica license to create an .exe file from Mathematica. This is because the CreateExecutable function uses the Mathematica kernel to compile the code into an .exe file. If you do not have a license, you can use the free Mathematica Player to create a smaller, restricted version of the .exe file.