Confusion in Power gain and voltage gain in decibels

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between voltage gain and power gain in amplifiers. While both forms of calculation give power gain, the formula 20 log(Vo/Vi) is often referred to as voltage gain in decibels in technical literature. This is because it can be used to calculate power gain if the resistance is equal, using the formula power = voltage^2 / resistance. However, 20 log(Vo/Vi) truly represents power gain in decibels.
dexterdev
Hi all,
I have a very basic doubt. If we have an amplifier with voltage gain A = Vo/Vi , where Vo is output and Vi is input voltages and Ap = Po/Pi which is power gain.

Ap = Po/Pi = Vo^2/Vi^2 = (Vo/Vi)^2

In decibels powergain = 10 log (Po/Pi) = 20 log (Vo/Vi).

In most tech literature 20 log(Vo/Vi) is addressed as voltage gain in decibels and not power gain in decibels. Why is it so?

Actually 20 log(Vo/Vi) is power gain in decibels. Right...

-Devanand T

Engineering news on Phys.org

Yes, that's right.

Both forms of this calculation give power gain.

It just that if you have voltages and the impedance is the same, you can work out power just using voltages using the formula Power = Voltage 2 / impedance. Then you take the ratio of the two powers using the 20 log(Vo/Vi) formula.

dexterdev said:
Hi all,
I have a very basic doubt. If we have an amplifier with voltage gain A = Vo/Vi , where Vo is output and Vi is input voltages and Ap = Po/Pi which is power gain.

Ap = Po/Pi = Vo^2/Vi^2 = (Vo/Vi)^2

In decibels powergain = 10 log (Po/Pi) = 20 log (Vo/Vi).

In most tech literature 20 log(Vo/Vi) is addressed as voltage gain in decibels and not power gain in decibels. Why is it so?

-Devanand T

Power is

[tex]10 \;\log \left(\frac {P_o}{P_i}\right)=10\;\log \left[\left( \frac {V_o}{V_i}\right)^2\right]=20\;\log \frac {V_o}{V_i} \hbox {Only if the resistance R is equal.}[/tex]

Remember [itex]power=\frac{V^2}{R}[/itex]

Last edited:

What is power gain and voltage gain in decibels?

Power gain and voltage gain are measurements used to quantify the increase in power or voltage of a signal as it passes through a device or system. They are expressed in decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic scale that compares the input and output power or voltage levels.

How are power gain and voltage gain related?

Power gain and voltage gain are related through the equation: Power Gain (dB) = 10 x log10(Voltage Gain (Vout/Vin))2. This means that the power gain is equal to twice the voltage gain in decibels.

Why is there confusion between power gain and voltage gain in decibels?

Confusion can arise because both power gain and voltage gain are expressed in the same units (dB) and have a similar relationship. Additionally, some devices or systems may use different reference values for their measurements, leading to discrepancies in the calculated gain values.

Which is a more accurate measurement, power gain or voltage gain in decibels?

Neither measurement is inherently more accurate than the other. It depends on the specific device or system being measured and the reference values used. In some cases, power gain may be a more useful measurement, while in others, voltage gain may provide a better understanding of the signal's behavior.

How can I convert between power gain and voltage gain in decibels?

To convert between power gain and voltage gain in decibels, use the equation: Voltage Gain (dB) = Power Gain (dB)/2. Similarly, Power Gain (dB) = 2 x Voltage Gain (dB). Keep in mind that these conversions are only valid if the same reference values are used for both measurements.