Wigner distribution in phase space

In summary, the Wigner distribution in phase space treats all functions of momentum and space on the same footing as momentum itself. A specific problem was mentioned where it had to be shown that the operator qcosθ + psinθ = qθ and -qsinθ + pcosθ = pθ satisfied the condition qθ |qθ> = qθ|qθ>. It was also shown that ∫ dpθW'(qθ,pθ) = |<qθ|ψ>|2, where W is the Wigner distribution. The Wigner function can be converted back to the density matrix \rho ( x , \bar{ x } ) = \int dp \ W \left( \frac{ x +
aim1732
This is about a specific property of the Wigner distribution in phase space. My professor mentioned the other day that the Wigner distribution treats all functions of momentum and space on the same footing as momentum itself or at least that's what I recall.He mentioned a specific problem where we had to show the following:

Considering the operator qcosθ + psinθ = qθ
and -qsinθ + pcosθ = pθ

such that qθ |qθ> = qθ|qθ>

We had to show that ∫ dpθW'(qθ,pθ) = |<qθ|ψ>|2
where W is the Wigner dis.
You may find the problem a little hazy(so do I). Even my professor said that it he did not recall it exactly and it might not be properly defined.If anyone has seen this or might have a useful suggestion please help me.I would be very thankful.

Physics news on Phys.org
aim1732 said:
This is about a specific property of the Wigner distribution in phase space. My professor mentioned the other day that the Wigner distribution treats all functions of momentum and space on the same footing as momentum itself or at least that's what I recall.He mentioned a specific problem where we had to show the following:

Considering the operator qcosθ + psinθ = qθ
and -qsinθ + pcosθ = pθ

such that qθ |qθ> = qθ|qθ>

We had to show that ∫ dpθW'(qθ,pθ) = |<qθ|ψ>|2
where W is the Wigner dis.
You may find the problem a little hazy(so do I). Even my professor said that it he did not recall it exactly and it might not be properly defined.If anyone has seen this or might have a useful suggestion please help me.I would be very thankful.

If the system is in a pure state with wave function [itex]\Psi ( x )[/itex], the Wigner function is defined by
[tex]
W( x , p ) = \frac{ 1 }{ \pi } \int dy \ \Psi^{ * } ( x + y ) \Psi ( x - y ) e^{ 2 i y p }
[/tex]
or, in terms of the density matrix [itex]\rho ( x , \bar{ x } )[/itex]:
[tex]
W( x , p ) = \frac{ 1 }{ \pi } \int dy \ \rho ( x + y , x - y ) e^{ 2 i y p }
[/tex]
OK, can you now convert the Wigner function back to the following density matrix?
[tex]
\rho ( x , \bar{ x } ) = \int dp \ W \left( \frac{ x + \bar{ x } }{ 2 } , p \right) e^{ - i p ( x - \bar{ x } ) }
[/tex]
[itex]\rho ( x , x )[/itex] is your answer.

Likes physicsclaus
Yes I can.I will Fourier invert the expression for W(x,p) after assuming 2y=y'(say).Then I will make the appropriate substitution to get the expression for the density matrix.However I am still not sure what to make of it.My doubt primarily revolves around what function I have to employ as in:
∫ dpθW'(qθ,pθ) = |<qθ|ψ>|2

Here the expression is trivially reduced to a marginal if I consider taking the Wigner function W'(qθ,pθ) as being defined in terms of the wave function in the vector space of eigenfunctions of qθ.Is this what I have to show?I mean that would be trivially true because we have already shown that the marginal of W(p,q) reduces to the probability distribution in the vector space of the other variable.

Please specify exactly what you had in mind when you said that.I might be missing something obvious because I am after all a lost undergrad who can not locate appropriate sources to get a hang of this distribution.
Regards
Aiman.

1. What is the Wigner distribution in phase space?

The Wigner distribution in phase space, also known as the Wigner function, is a mathematical tool used to describe the quantum state of a system. It represents the probability density of a quantum state in both position and momentum space, providing a complete description of the system's quantum behavior.

2. How is the Wigner distribution related to the uncertainty principle?

The Wigner distribution is related to the uncertainty principle in that it allows us to visualize and understand the trade-off between position and momentum uncertainties in a quantum system. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The Wigner distribution shows us the extent to which this trade-off exists in a given quantum state.

3. What are the advantages of using the Wigner distribution in phase space?

The Wigner distribution offers several advantages in understanding and analyzing quantum systems. It allows for a more intuitive and visual representation of quantum states, making it easier to interpret and analyze complex quantum systems. It also provides a way to calculate and compare the uncertainties in both position and momentum of a system. Additionally, the Wigner distribution can be used to study the time-evolution of a quantum state, providing insights into the dynamics of a system.

4. Can the Wigner distribution be used for all quantum systems?

The Wigner distribution can be used for most quantum systems, including both discrete and continuous variable systems. However, there are some limitations to its applicability, particularly in systems with large numbers of particles or strong interactions. In these cases, alternative mathematical tools may be more appropriate.

5. How is the Wigner distribution calculated?

The Wigner distribution can be calculated using the Wigner transform, which is a mathematical operation that maps the quantum state onto the phase space. This involves taking the Fourier transform of the Wigner distribution function, which is a complex-valued function. The resulting function represents the Wigner distribution in phase space, providing a complete description of the quantum state in terms of both position and momentum.