Would you say men are more insecure/self-conscious than women?

• Thread starter BBQgoat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether men or women are generally more insecure and self-conscious. While some believe that women are more secure with themselves because they believe men desire them, others argue that insecurity is not a linear concept and depends on the individual's experiences and environment. The topic is complex and has been moved to a more appropriate forum for further discussion and evidence-based perspectives.
BBQgoat
My personal opinion is that generally more men are insecure/self-conscious (especially in this generation), however, maybe not to the extent women are. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think women know how much men like them, so they're more secure about themselves because they know we love them no matter what.

I'm not sure if women feel the same way, so I'm pretty self-conscious around girls I like.

leroyjenkens said:
I think women know how much men like them, so they're more secure about themselves because they know we love them no matter what.

I'm not sure if women feel the same way, so I'm pretty self-conscious around girls I like.
I think you'll find that women are just as insecure and self-conscious as men, if not more. Just think about how much time and trouble women go to picking out just the right outfit, hair, makeup, etc... How many trips to the restroom they make (you don't think they all have to pee that often).

Evo said:
I think you'll find that women are just as insecure and self-conscious as men, if not more. Just think about how much time and trouble women go to picking out just the right outfit, hair, makeup, etc... How many trips to the restroom they make (you don't think they all have to pee that often).

But between men and women, I think women are more secure with themselves, because they seem more comfortable assuming the men around them want them. And they're usually right.
Maybe it's all the preparation you're talking about that makes them so secure.

BBQgoat said:
My personal opinion is that generally more men are insecure/self-conscious (especially in this generation), however, maybe not to the extent women are. Any thoughts?
It is wrong to generalize by gender. Insecurity/self-consciousness depends on the individual. It is not necessarily inherent, but it is a product of one's experience and environment, and in the early years, that is mostly beyond one's control.

leroyjenkens said:
But between men and women, I think women are more secure with themselves, because they seem more comfortable assuming the men around them want them. And they're usually right.
Maybe it's all the preparation you're talking about that makes them so secure.

The preparation is because they AREN'T secure. Not because they are.

I find this question overly simplistic. Insecurity is not a linear slider, like most human attributes it's multifaceted. For instance:

Alice could be insecure about certain aspects of her looks, about how her laugh sounds compared to others and about how people view her at work given that she doesn't come across as professional as others.

Bob could be insecure about forming close relationships with people because he has had some traumatic experiences in the past.

How do we tell who is more insecure? Alice is insecure about more things and the things she is insecure about may come up more often than Bob's however Bob might feel it's having a greater effect on his life. Or he could not be that bothered. There is no real metric for insecurity other than how it effects your life (which is incredibly subjective) and in my experience there isn't much difference between sexes in the amount and effect of things people are insecure about however they may be perceived as different depending on cultural context.

Can I ask what the point of the question is? This topic brushes a number of academic fields and more clarification could lead to more relevant discussion.

leroyjenkens said:

Ever heard of MGTOW? Go ahead. Google it.

leroyjenkens said:
As nice as I'm sure the spirit of this comment is don't you think it's a bit disparaging that you're reducing what women should base their self image on to the fact that some men might still love them?

The mentors have decided that this is a serious subject and should be treated as such. The thread has been moved to Social Sciences, so going forward all statements must be backed up by mainstream, acceptable sources.

Last edited:
In my opinion men that exert their dominance over inferior members of their social circle are most likely quite insecure because they have a need to prove them selves to their friends and possible mates

zoobyshoe said:
Here's an article about a study of men's insecurity:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121219174331.htm

I couldn't find anything similar for women, anything that specifically focused on their insecurities about men.

From the article "In other words, anxious men are likely to alternate between chivalry and hostility toward female partners, acting like a knight in shining armor when she fulfills his goals and ideals about women, but like an ogre when she doesn't," Hart explained this month to the Society of Personality and Social Psychology's web-based news site, Connections. "Avoidant men are likely to show only hostility without any princely protectiveness."

The nature of the anxiety is unclear. Couldn't it be situational where group dynamics are involved?

1. Are there any studies that support the idea that men are more insecure or self-conscious than women?

Yes, there have been several studies conducted on this topic. One study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that men were more likely to feel insecure about their appearance and body image compared to women. Another study published in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research found that men reported higher levels of social anxiety and self-consciousness compared to women.

2. What factors contribute to men feeling more insecure or self-conscious?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to men feeling insecure or self-conscious. One of the main factors is societal pressure and expectations placed on men to conform to a certain standard of masculinity. This can lead to men feeling pressure to be strong, stoic, and confident, and when they fall short of these expectations, they may feel more insecure. Additionally, men may also experience insecurities related to their physical appearance, career success, and social status.

3. Are there any cultural differences in terms of men's insecurity or self-consciousness?

Yes, cultural differences can play a role in how men perceive and express their insecurities and self-consciousness. For example, in some cultures, men may be encouraged to show more vulnerability and emotions, which may lead to them being more open about their insecurities. In other cultures, there may be a stigma against men showing any signs of weakness, which can contribute to them feeling more pressure to hide their insecurities.

4. Can men's insecurity or self-consciousness impact their mental health?

Yes, men's insecurity or self-consciousness can have a significant impact on their mental health. It can lead to conditions such as depression, anxiety, and body dysmorphic disorder. Additionally, men who feel insecure or self-conscious may engage in unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as substance abuse, which can further negatively impact their mental health.

5. What can be done to address and support men's insecurity or self-consciousness?

There are several things that can be done to address and support men's insecurity or self-consciousness. One important step is to challenge societal norms and expectations placed on men and promote a more inclusive and diverse definition of masculinity. Additionally, creating a safe and supportive environment where men feel comfortable expressing their emotions and vulnerabilities can also be beneficial. Seeking therapy or support from mental health professionals can also be helpful in addressing and managing insecurities and self-consciousness.