Physics for Chemists: Which areas are of help to chemists

In summary, the speaker recently finished their bachelor's degree in chemistry with a strong background in mathematics and statistics and is now preparing for their master's degree. They feel they lack knowledge in physics and are interested in taking courses to catch up and be more versatile in their academic areas. They are specifically interested in solid-state chemistry and material science, and are considering taking courses in quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and material science. They also plan on talking with their supervisors for further guidance.
Chem.Stud.
Hi,

I just finished my bachelor's degree in chemistry, in which I have made sure to get some extra mathematics and statistics (introduction to calculus, linear algebra, and linear differential equations; experimental design, ANOVA, advanced regression). I feel pretty covered here and ready for starting my master's degree.

However, I feel I really lack knowledge in physics, because I have not studied that since high school (and then I didn't really care). I have recently grown interested in solid-state chemistry, or chemistry more tangent to material science, and I have noticed that have a general understanding of quantum mechanics (applied to chemistry) really is important to fully understand electronic structures and, in the end, chemical properties. There is a fine line between chemistry and physics at that level, and I would really like to take a year to "catch up".

I applied for a master's degree, but did not make it - mostly because I failed to send in all required documents! So, that is disappointing, but somehow I got a little relieved. I can now take a year to take some physics courses, and hopefully end with an introductory course in quantum mechanics. Being versatile is important.

My academic writing professor repeatedly said that good science is about finding new connections. Good research finds connections that no-one has considered before, and explains something in terms of something new. This has stuck to me, and I feel by being more versatile in my "academic areas" will do nothing but good.

With this (lengthy) preface of situation, here comes my question: What kinds of physics courses should a chemistry student focus on to better understand chemistry and build versatility? I see myself having to start at the bottom with some kind of "Introduction to physics" and moving on to "General Mechanics" and "Classical Physics", moving on to "Thermodynamics" or something like that. Much of this will be familiar but with new applications, but maybe I could skip some courses that "I do not need"? I know that kind of defeats my idea of being versatile, but I hope you get my point.

I will also take a course in radio-chemistry and a course in instrumental inorganic analysis. I see that my university offers a course called "Physics for Chemical Engineers". There is also one course within material science which I want to take. Should I take a separate course in classical mechanics or classical physics? Thermodynamics? I already have the one physical chemistry course, but the course did in no way cover the entire book. I can of course do some self-study.

I really thank anyone who advices me in this. I do plan on talking with my supervisors, but I hoped to be a little informed before doing so. Again, thank you in advance!Anders

P.s. Link to physics courses: http://www.umb.no/search/emner/?string=fys

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry if I missed this but what area of chemistry do you want to specialize in?

Solid-state chemistry or something tangent to material science. Of course, that may change during the year, but that is where I am now.

Maybe zou want to take some quantum chemistry class. There you will learn basic quantum mechanics and may feel confident to take some solid state physics classes.

(Relativistic!) quantum mechanics, thermodynamics and statistics.

Chem.Stud. said:
Solid-state chemistry or something tangent to material science. Of course, that may change during the year, but that is where I am now.
It still depends on if you'll be working for an inorganic chemist, physical chemist or someone really interdisciplinary.

That being said, quantum mechanics, stat mech, solid state physics, condensed matter and computational physics courses should be useful.

1. What is the importance of physics for chemists?

Physics is essential for chemists as it provides the basic principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy. These principles are crucial for understanding chemical reactions and properties of substances at the atomic and molecular level, which is essential for chemists in their research and experiments.

2. Which specific areas of physics are most useful for chemists?

Some of the key areas of physics that are of help to chemists include thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy. Thermodynamics helps in understanding the energy changes and heat involved in chemical reactions. Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of atoms and molecules, while spectroscopy is used for analyzing the chemical composition of substances.

3. How does knowledge of physics benefit chemists in their work?

Having a strong foundation in physics allows chemists to have a deeper understanding of the physical properties and behavior of substances, which can aid in designing new experiments and predicting the outcomes of chemical reactions. It also allows for the development of new technologies and materials that can be used in various applications.

4. Can knowledge of physics help chemists in solving real-world problems?

Yes, the principles and laws of physics can be applied to real-world problems in chemistry, such as developing new and more efficient energy sources, understanding environmental issues, and creating new materials for various industries. Physics also plays a crucial role in the development of pharmaceuticals and other chemical products.

5. Is it necessary for chemists to have a background in physics?

While it may not be necessary for all chemists to have an in-depth understanding of physics, having a basic knowledge of key principles and concepts can greatly benefit their work. Many universities offer courses in physical chemistry, which bridges the gap between physics and chemistry and provides a strong foundation for chemists in both fields.