Neutralizing Alcohol in Drinks: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter etmax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, there is currently no feasible way to turn an alcoholic beverage into a non-alcoholic version without significantly altering its taste and quality. Reagents and reverse osmosis processes have not been successful in preserving the original characteristics of the drink. The transformation of ethanol to acetic acid through oxidation would ruin the drink, and removing the alcohol may also cause other substances to precipitate out and change the taste.
etmax
This question is about neutralising alcohol in the bottle, not in the body or an attempt to get rid of a hangover.

So is it possible to turn an alcoholic beverage such as wine or beer into a light or non-alcoholic version by adding the appropriate chemicals and waiting for the reaction to complete?

Maybe by running it through a catalytic filter of some description if direct reaction isn't feasible?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not aware of any reagent selective enough to react with ethanol only.

Thanks, do you know of any reagents that would at least leave the wine as recognisably wine :smile: as opposed to turning it into Heaven knows what :yuck:?

As stated before, there is really no feasible way to separate out the ethanol and leave the wine or beer in good condition.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say :yuck:, but I can only imagine it is the transformation from ethanol to acetic acid. In this transition ethanol is oxidized, and in essences the drink no longer contains alcohol, though it now wreaks of acetic acid (vinegar) and has been thoroughly ruined.

No idea about reagents, but I wonder if reverse osmosis process (similar to that used to make non-alcohol beers) won't work.

Somehow I am afraid after removing the alcohol some of the substances dissolved in wine will precipitate out, and the taste will change substantially. Plus, ethanol itself is most likely responsible for part of the taste, so whatever is left can be undrinkable.

1. Can alcohol be completely removed from a drink?

No, it is not possible to completely remove alcohol from a drink. However, the amount of alcohol can be reduced through various methods.

2. What are some methods for neutralizing alcohol in drinks?

Some common methods for neutralizing alcohol in drinks include diluting the drink with non-alcoholic liquids, cooking or heating the drink, and using substances such as activated charcoal or fruit pectin to absorb the alcohol.

3. Does adding ice to a drink reduce the alcohol content?

Adding ice to a drink does not directly reduce the alcohol content. However, if the drink is diluted with ice, it will contain less alcohol per volume than a room temperature drink.

4. Can certain foods or drinks help neutralize the effects of alcohol?

While there is no food or drink that can completely neutralize the effects of alcohol, some foods such as fatty foods, carbohydrates, and protein can help slow down the absorption of alcohol in the body.

5. Is there a way to accurately measure the level of alcohol in a drink?

Yes, there are various tools such as breathalyzers and professional alcohol meters that can accurately measure the level of alcohol in a drink. However, these tools may not be accessible or accurate for the average person.