Standard enthelpy of formation needed for EDTA metal complexes

In summary, the person is seeking help for solving chemical equilibria in a kraft mill bleach plant and is using the van't Hoff equation. They are missing data for EDTA complexes with Na+ and K+ and are wondering if anyone knows where to find these values. Another person suggests that the formation constants for EDTANa and EDTAK are small and may not play a significant role in the system. The original person thanks them for the suggestion and will try neglecting these values in their calculations.
Gollegun
Hi,

I am trying to solve the chemical equilibria in a kraft mill bleach plant to predict mineral scale deposits. I am using the van't Hoff equation to account for temperature dependence of the formation constants, but I need the enthalpy of reaction for all equilibria and I am missing some data.

What I am missing is data for EDTA complexes with Na+ and K+. I have the std enthalpy of formation for EDTA, Na+ and K+ but in order to get the enthalpy of reaction I also need EDTA-Na and EDTA-K.

Does anyone know where I can find these values?

Kind regards

Gollegun

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Formation constants for EDTANa and EDTAK are quite small from what I remember - are you sure they play any important role in the system?

Borek said:
Formation constants for EDTANa and EDTAK are quite small from what I remember - are you sure they play any important role in the system?

I just automatically included all the ions of significant concentration. But you are right, the formation constants of Na and K are very low in comparison to other metals such as Ca and Mg - and they can probably be neglected. I'll try this and see how it works out.

Thanks!

1. What is the standard enthalpy of formation for EDTA metal complexes?

The standard enthalpy of formation for EDTA metal complexes varies depending on the specific metal ion involved. Generally, the standard enthalpy of formation ranges from -500 to -1000 kJ/mol, with more negative values indicating a more stable complex.

2. How is the standard enthalpy of formation determined for EDTA metal complexes?

The standard enthalpy of formation is determined through experimental methods, such as calorimetry or thermodynamic calculations. These methods involve measuring the heat released or absorbed during the formation of the EDTA metal complex, and using this data to calculate the standard enthalpy of formation.

3. Why is the standard enthalpy of formation important for EDTA metal complexes?

The standard enthalpy of formation is important because it provides information about the stability and energy of the EDTA metal complex. This can help in predicting the behavior and reactivity of the complex in different chemical reactions.

4. How does the standard enthalpy of formation affect the overall stability of EDTA metal complexes?

The standard enthalpy of formation is directly related to the stability of EDTA metal complexes. A more negative standard enthalpy of formation indicates a more stable complex, while a less negative or positive value suggests a less stable complex.

5. Can the standard enthalpy of formation for EDTA metal complexes be changed?

The standard enthalpy of formation for EDTA metal complexes can be changed by altering the conditions under which the complex is formed. For example, changing the pH, temperature, or type of metal ion can affect the stability and thus the standard enthalpy of formation of the complex.