Relief Capacity of Rupture disc and relief valve

In summary, rupture discs and relief valves are crucial safety devices used to protect systems and equipment from overpressure. They work together to provide a layered protection system and their relief capacity is determined by factors such as maximum working pressure, type of fluid/gas, and temperature and flow rate. These devices should be regularly inspected and replaced according to manufacturer's recommendations to ensure their effectiveness. It is also important to use the correct type of rupture disc and relief valve for specific applications.
martane
I need to compute for the relief capacity (gpm or lb/hr) of a 10" rupture disc with relief valve set at 180psig. Vented out into the atmosphere. Assume fluid is water at 140F. I tried using ASME and API Equation but they give different answers. Can someone tell me the correct answer and what equation to use. Thankd

Engineering news on Phys.org
at 180psig, I would imagine BPVC would take precedence.

What was the capacity you computed? Using eq. From crane i computed 10200 Klb/hr from ASME i computed 2200 Klb/hr.

1. What is the purpose of a rupture disc and relief valve?

The purpose of a rupture disc and relief valve is to protect a system or equipment from overpressure by releasing excess pressure to prevent damage or failure. They are crucial safety devices commonly used in industrial and scientific settings.

2. How do rupture discs and relief valves work together?

Rupture discs and relief valves work together to provide a layered protection system. The rupture disc is designed to burst at a specific pressure, while the relief valve is set to open at a slightly higher pressure. This combination ensures that if the rupture disc fails, the relief valve will activate to release pressure and prevent further damage.

3. What factors determine the relief capacity of a rupture disc and relief valve?

The relief capacity of a rupture disc and relief valve is determined by several factors, including the maximum allowable working pressure of the system, the type of fluid or gas being contained, and the temperature and flow rate of the fluid or gas. Proper sizing and selection of these devices is crucial to ensure effective pressure relief.

4. How often should rupture discs and relief valves be inspected and replaced?

Rupture discs and relief valves should be inspected regularly, according to the manufacturer's recommendations, to ensure they are in good working condition. They should also be replaced if they have been activated or if there are any signs of damage or wear. It is important to follow a maintenance schedule to ensure the safety and reliability of these devices.

5. Can rupture discs and relief valves be used for all types of fluids and gases?

No, rupture discs and relief valves are designed to be compatible with specific types of fluids and gases. It is important to consult with the manufacturer to ensure that the devices are suitable for the specific application and conditions. Using the wrong type of rupture disc or relief valve can result in ineffective pressure relief or even failure of the system.