What Are Contravariant and Covariant Tensors in Relativity?

• Thread starter yukcream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Covariant
In summary, covariant and contravariant vectors are different types of vectors, with specific transformation properties. The covariant of a vector is the vector with the -ve sign, while the contravariant of a vector is the vector with the +ve sign.
yukcream
Can anyone explain to me what is contravariant and covariant? I just know that they are tensors with specific transformation properties (from website of MathWorld), i also know that the relation between two is the -ve sign.
Then dose it mean that:
given a 4-velocity of a particle is the vector
u' = dx^i/ds then how about the covariant of u'?

furthermore

given u' = { 1/sqrt (1-V^2/C^2) , v/c sqrt (1-V^2/ C^2) , then I wnat to ask am I right that the covaritant of u is { -1/sqrt (1-V^2/C^2) , -v/c sqrt (1-V^2/ C^2)?

if yes i can't get the relation u'u_' =1 (u_' indicate a subscripts)

yukyuk

Physics news on Phys.org
One property that is easy to spot is that contravariant tensors are like vectors, little arrows in the tangent space you know, while covariant tensors are like differential operators. Indeed I think it is true that all the classical covariant tensors, except the metric itself, come from differntial operations, especially covariant differentiation. Because the Riemann-Christoffel or curvature tensor can be constructed as the difference between the second covariant derivatives of an arbitrary contravariant vector with opposite orders of differentiation, and the Ricci and Einstein tensors derive their contravariant components from R-C.

yukcream said:
Can anyone explain to me what is contravariant and covariant? I just know that they are tensors with specific transformation properties (from website of MathWorld), i also know that the relation between two is the -ve sign.
Then dose it mean that:
given a 4-velocity of a particle is the vector
u' = dx^i/ds then how about the covariant of u'?

furthermore

given u' = { 1/sqrt (1-V^2/C^2) , v/c sqrt (1-V^2/ C^2) , then I wnat to ask am I right that the covaritant of u is { -1/sqrt (1-V^2/C^2) , -v/c sqrt (1-V^2/ C^2)?

if yes i can't get the relation u'u_' =1 (u_' indicate a subscripts)

yukyuk

While the specific answer depends on your metric, this looks wrong.

On a practical level, in relativity you lower the index of your tensor with the metric, g_ab.

This means that given a vector u^a = (a,b), the contravariant vector is

(g_00*a + g_01*b, g_10*a + g_11*b)

The dot product of u^a u_a, the covariant and contravariant vectors, is supposed to give the "length" of the vector. In relativity, the vectors are generally 4-vectors, and the "length" of the vector is its invariant Lorentz interval. Your vector is a bit odd, having only 2 components - I'm assuming that one of them is probably time, and the other is probably some spatial dimension.

Your result would only work with a metric of
-1 0
0 -1

which is unlikely. A much more likely candidate would be either
-1 0
0 1

OR

1 0
0 -1

(both sorts of sign convention are used). This would be for a flat "Minkowski" space-time.

Because this is posted in the relativity forum, and not the math forum, I'm assuming you are asking about covariant and contravariant vectors in relativity. In other applications, the vectors could be 3-vectors, and the "length" the usual length.

What is the difference between contravariant and covariant?

Contravariant and covariant are two terms used in mathematics and physics to describe how certain quantities change when their coordinates are transformed. In simple terms, contravariant quantities change in the opposite direction as the coordinates, while covariant quantities change in the same direction as the coordinates.

How are contravariant and covariant related to each other?

Contravariant and covariant are related by a mathematical concept known as the metric tensor. This tensor describes how the coordinates of a system are related to each other, and allows us to convert between contravariant and covariant quantities.

What are some common examples of contravariant and covariant quantities?

In physics, some common examples of contravariant quantities include velocity, momentum, and electric fields. Some common examples of covariant quantities include force, displacement, and electric potential.

How are contravariant and covariant used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the concept of contravariant and covariant quantities is used to describe the curvature of spacetime. This allows us to understand how gravity affects the motion of objects and the behavior of light.

What are some real-world applications of contravariant and covariant?

Contravariant and covariant are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they are used in the design of aircrafts, the development of computer graphics, and in the analysis of data in machine learning algorithms.