Mastering Polynomial Equations: Comparing Coefficients Explained

• Thread starter thepatientmental
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficients
In summary, the person is in grade 12 and is currently learning about polynomial equations and inequalities. They are struggling with comparing coefficients and have trouble solving for both x's. They request urgent help and apologize for not responding sooner. They have since figured out their confusion and thank those who offered to help.
thepatientmental
Hi, this is my first post.

Right now I am in grade 12 advanced functions and introductory calc.

I have just started the second unit which is polynomial equations and inequalities.

I am currently having a problem with comparing coefficients.
I understand up until where you find the factor of the cubic equation, and distrubute it over the part polynomial which is (x^2 + kn + (p times the coefficiant of the original polynomial)

I get confused when I solve for both x's. I always turn out to have different numbers, and I don't know what to plug in for k.

Help is urgent please.

thanks to all

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry, it simply is not clear what you are looking for.

Could you post your problem clearly and in its entirety. Then show us some of your work, not the result of your work but the processes you employed to arrive at the result. This will allow us to get to the root of the problem much quicker.

Thanks for trying to help, sorry I didn't reply sooner.
I figured it out today. I thought it was an accual term used for one of the (basic high-school) methods of factoring cubic(or higher) equations into smaller ones.
(I didn't have trouble with a particular equation, but of the process of all equations in that manner.)

Thanks again.

1. What is the purpose of comparing coefficients in a scientific study?

The purpose of comparing coefficients is to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. This can help researchers understand the impact of one variable on another and make predictions or draw conclusions about their findings.

2. How do you calculate coefficients?

Coefficients are calculated using statistical methods such as regression analysis. This involves analyzing the data to determine the best fitting line or curve that represents the relationship between the variables. The coefficients represent the slope and intercept of this line or curve.

3. Why is it important to standardize coefficients?

Standardizing coefficients is important because it allows for a more direct comparison between variables. This is especially useful when comparing variables that have different units or scales, as standardization puts them on the same scale.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative coefficients?

A positive coefficient indicates a positive relationship between variables, meaning that as one variable increases, the other also increases. A negative coefficient indicates a negative relationship, where as one variable increases, the other decreases.

5. Can coefficients be used to determine causation?

No, coefficients alone cannot determine causation between variables. They can only show the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. Additional evidence and experimentation is needed to establish causation.