Self-Learning Trig and Calculus for Physics: What are the Prerequisites?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is a sophomore in high school and is currently taking honors chemistry and algebra 2. They are interested in learning trigonometry and calculus on their own in order to understand high school and college level physics. They have an old textbook from 1974 and are asking for recommendations on better methods of self-study. The conversation also mentions the importance of practice and understanding concepts before moving on to teaching them to someone else. The person is advised to use online resources such as Khan Academy and to focus on topics such as trigonometric identities, exponents, logarithms, and functions. It is also suggested that they have a good understanding of manipulating equations and the unit circle. Finally, it is mentioned
Abunai
Hi,
I'm a sophmore in high school, right now I am in honors chemistry and algebra 2, (if you are familiar with science bowl, my school, mira loma, won last year)

I want to learn trig and eventually calculus on my own, with the hopes of understanding high school and college level physics. I have an old textbook from my dad's study, its by Mcgraw hill and it says "Plane Trigonometry with Tables"(1974) is this a good textbook to learn from? If not what is a better method and what would be better for learning calculus and physics on my own?

Also, what are the REAL pre-req.s to learn calculus and trig because there's a lot of stuff I hear like Pre Calculus is not really related or used in Calculus, so what do I need to learn then?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My first words of advice would be to slow down. You don't have to learn all of this now. Most introductory physics textbooks can be read and worked through with a little bit of trig. As with learning any subject by yourself the most important thing is practice. Their really isn't one method of self study; normally you learn the way you feel most comfortable with. All that is left is work lots and lots of problems. This is the only way to get good at something like math. Once you understand a concept try explaining it to someone else. Teaching is the ultimate evidence of true understanding of a subject.

Good Luck!

You can learn pre-calculus math(algebra, trigonometry, etc.) from online sources. Try this site out: http://www.themathpage.com/aPreCalc/precalculus.htm , continue through the topics until you understand everything there. I would say you need a good knowledge of the following: Trigonometry(sin, cos, tan, identities, etc.), exponents and exponential functions, logarithms and logarithmic functions, functions(of course), conic sections(ellipse, hyperbola, and parabola), sequences and infinite series, and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Trigonometric_functions
You should memorize everything between tan = sin/cos up till related identities.
Remember logbx = n and bn = x.
To get the value of n you do: logx/logb(or logexponent/logbase)
I'm sure you already memorized (-b +/- sqrt(b2 -4ac) /2a, sohcahtoa and etc.

Like I said, check out http://www.themathpage.com/aPreCalc/precalculus.htm or http://www.youtube.com/khanacademy

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially check out khan academy. My advice is use Khan Academy to learn the material, then find somewhere to do practice problems.

Char. Limit said:
Especially check out khan academy. My advice is use Khan Academy to learn the material, then find somewhere to do practice problems.
You mean visit:
http://khanexercises.appspot.com/
And then find somewhere else to do more practice problems :tongue:

Oh wow, now that is a great place. I never knew Sal made practice problems too.

Hello there I want to know that i study economics and want to know that is it difficult to study electrical or need to study maths and physics on my own please recommend me.

Everything in the review of this page is needed to learn calculus: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx

Don't read the notes, they are short and brief, and are meant to be read after a book or supplement formal teaching. Mostly in calculus you should be good with manipulating equations and knowing the unit circle. You can probably even understand limits and derivatives now. Don't be afraid to jump into something.

Some people were saying to not worry about learning all this now. It is better to approach physics from a calculus perspective and will make you better with physics. The other way can be done too, just not as effective.

1. What is "Self-learning Trig? Calculus?"

"Self-learning Trig? Calculus?" is a method of learning trigonometry and calculus on your own, without the guidance of a teacher or formal instruction. It involves using resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to develop an understanding of these mathematical concepts.

2. Is it possible to learn Trig? Calculus on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn Trig? Calculus on your own. However, it requires self-discipline, dedication, and a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from online forums or communities of self-learners.

3. How long does it take to learn Trig? Calculus?

The amount of time it takes to learn Trig? Calculus varies depending on the individual's prior knowledge and dedication to learning. It may take a few months to a year to develop a strong understanding of these concepts through self-learning.

4. What are the benefits of self-learning Trig? Calculus?

Self-learning Trig? Calculus allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on areas that they find challenging. It also promotes independent thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, it can be a more cost-effective option compared to formal instruction.

5. Are there any disadvantages to self-learning Trig? Calculus?

Self-learning Trig? Calculus may not be suitable for everyone, as it requires a high level of self-discipline and motivation. Without the guidance of a teacher, it may also be difficult to identify and correct mistakes. Additionally, some individuals may prefer the structure and interaction of a formal classroom setting.